What are your bed time routines, if you child sleeps through the night?

My son is 18 months and will not sleep at night. Never has. And i know its my fault cause i don't let him cry. When he cries i just take him on the couch and sleep with him. My husband is leaving for the month of august and i won't have help with my son during the day so i'm gonna need my sleep. I would like to try to let him cry it out this last week. But i need some advice. I was thinking of playing a lullaby cd and putting him in his crib and let him cry. I hate to listen to him cry cause he sometimes cries so hard that he coughs, and that kills me. But i need my sleep and i've let this go on way too long. I'd appreciate any help!!!

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• 7.30-bath, book
    8.00-bed.

My son is 4 years old. We have always had a routine. He has does sleep through the night every night.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We do dinner, play, bath, play and then I put her to bed with a night light and I play a christian rock station for her. We used to use a lullaby cd that I would put on repeat. My LO has slept through the night since she was 12 weeks old. You can let them cry for 5- 10 min and then go check on him. Pat his back and soothe him but don't pick him up. The first few days are going to be the roughest and they will eventually get better. I promise. You just have to consistent and get your hubby on the same page. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• she eats dinner around 6 or 6:30. Then she takes a bath. And we read a couple books. I make her a bottle and lay her in bed around 8:30.
    I know I'm not supposed to give her a bottle to go to bed, but she never drinks it. She just holds it (I guess it's a security thing for her).
    About 15 minutes later she's asleep. Lately though she's been throwing the bottle out of the bed and crying which only lasts about 2-5 minutes before she's asleep.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 5:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I forgot to add that:
    dinner between 430 and 5
    play
    bath between 6 and 630
    play
    bed is at 7
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We start with a light snack, a sippy of milk/water and a couple crackers, then we brush teeth, read 2 books in his room, turn on his lullaby music (it plays for 10 minutes) and he goes to sleep. Bedtime is 7:30, he sleeps until 7 in the morning.

Answer by missanc at 5:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Dinner at 6:30-7:00.
    Then to bed with a sippy cup/bottle at 9:00.
    Not a very detailed schedule, but we don't do much to prepare them for bed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It is hard to hear your baby cry but maybe do 5 minutes one night, 10 the next etc. see if that works. I had to go outside so I didn't hear him, i was stronger about it when he was a baby.. he hasn't slept through the night more than a handful of times once he hit 2.. I am at a loss of how to do it also - I've done and tried just about every method. gl!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010