Should children be treated diferently, due to the fact of their sex F or M?

What do you think about double standards with your children?

BoricuaMom2teen

Asked by BoricuaMom2teen at 5:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think every family has a double standard.. growing up I couldn't go out and play cause only boys play outside... I couldn't take out the trash cause the is a boys job. I wouldn't treat my kids differently
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No. Girls and boys need to be treated the same. With lots of love :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 5:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes. Girls tend to be more sensitive,boys have less impulse control. i think at a certain age there are societal norms that have to be taught like boys not crying like babies once they reach a certain age.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I treat my kids differently based on who they are, not which gender they are. My sister has a very VERY emotionally sensitive little boy, and a little girl who could hold her own against a kid twice her size in a fight... they are treated the way they need to be for their different personalities. I do the same (I just have one so far, one on the way, though lol)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Same rules in my house. Growing up, my brother got to stay out later than us girls. That won't happen in my house. A boy can get a girl pregnant just as easily as a girl can get pregnant.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This really ticked me off growing up. I was told I couldn't go out to the under 21 club until I was 16, (I was 15 at the time) yet they let my younger brother go when he was 14. When I cried foul, I was told it was because he was a boy and I was a girl. I was told that when I was older I would understand. It's been 20 years and I still don't understand.

This was just one of many things he was allowed to do because he was a boy. We had to fold laundry and he didn't, we had to clean the bathrooms and he didn't.

We all had to do dishes and take out the trash. But there weren't any chores that he did to make up for the extra chores we had. I still tell my mom how wrong she was about that. She now agrees.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My DH and I sure dissagree, I was a pre-school teacher for 5 years and lots of parents even had issues with boys playing with dolls, but girls can play with cars. I dissagree totally.
    BoricuaMom2teen

Comment by BoricuaMom2teen (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Never believed in the double standard, my dad always use to tell me that I should have been born a man and my brother a woman because of our personalities. All children should be treated according to their individual personalities, not according to their gender.

Answer by older at 5:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I guess that is one of the reasons our society is so crazy! We are all human beings and should be treated with equal respect and love.
    BoricuaMom2teen

Comment by BoricuaMom2teen (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No. Children should be treated according to their behavior and personality. Social norms are only what we let them be. They shouldn't be guidelines to the treatment of children anyway. LOGIC should be used. Is there any logical reason to treat people differently based on sex? Nope. Just because it's common doesn't make it right.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010