what to do when i can't pump everything out? i;m only getting an ounce or so and i know there is more!!

i'm very nervous that i'll have to go to formula i can't pump and empty them and i know he need more. and when i nurse him he does okay but he's under weight what do i do?

bj83

Asked by bj83 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• massage your breast for a few minutes and use warm compresses. it helps the milk flow.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I nursed 2 kids straight... 37 months total... I tried over and over again to pump... Different methods & pumps, even tried by hand... NOTHING worked... My only choice was to supplement with formula... There just weren't any other options for us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• look at out put not input. 6-8 wet diapers. what goes in must come out. nurse nurse nurse. how underweight? is he gaunt and listless? how old? are you using a bfing growth chart., bf babies gain weight differently than formula fed. is your family smalll statured? if you need to try a SNS. visit www.kellymom.com www.drjacknewman.com and if you pump learn effeciency, though 1 ounce is good! http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. They have tons of advice and support to offer. Good luck
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 5:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Relax while you nurse/pump it will help the let down of the milk.
    Maybe try pumping more often (I had to pump while my daughter was in the NICU and I had TONS of milk and they told me that pumping less would lower my milk supply) to increase the amount.

I know how frustrating it is, my son wouldn't nurse and was underweight when he was a newborn. so I had to pump and he'd eat like 1 ounce every hour by silicone cup, sometimes he'd have more. As he got older he wanted more milk but he drank out of a cup until he was almost 3 months old! It was so frustrating and I would cry to my husband and mom that he'd have to be a bottle baby on formula and I didn't want that at all. I worked VERY hard and eventually he got it and the milk was there as he needed it!
    So don't give up! Just keep trying and hopefully everything will work out for you =) Good luck!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It isn't normal to get that much when you pump. And a baby can get out WAY more than you can ever pump out. Besides, a baby really doesn't need as much BM per sitting as we think. And, they need to feed ALOT of times because breastmilk is so easily digested that it doesn't stick around long in their tummies, unlike formula which is harder to digest and easier to overfeed from a bottle. Because the kid has to swallow to not drown in formula from the bottle. Just have him feed more from the breast. And, as long as he has yellowish poops and like 6 diapers, you are fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I've got a long lean active baby. she's not a chunker by any stretch of the imagination. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023600.asp
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• get a warm wash cloth and massage the heat on your breast that will bring the milk down. Also try and have the baby latch on so that it will help the milk come down.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Are you pumping because you are going to be apart from baby? If not, there probably isn't a need to pump, just nurse. How are diapers, and what do you consider to be underweight?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Many times women don't get the same out of a pump as they do when their baby nurses. It's very common and typical.

I've been pumping at work for 8 months now. What has worked for me, taking a picture of my baby with me when I pump and look at it, visualizing her crying and nursing, relaxing, listening to music, drinking LOTS of water, eating oatmeal every morning and keeping a pumping schedule that I stick to everyday.

Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010