How can I deal with my grand daughter she hates homework it is alays a battle.

she crys and takes forever . I tryed to make it fun. I tryed giving her the answers. She still throws a fit. Thanks Nana needs help Sweetsue5300

Sweetsue5300

Asked by Sweetsue5300 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had the same issue with myself. I never did it and was always in trouble. I did do better in high school when it mattered. I also got into a 4 year college. So, she may decide on her own to get it together...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Does she has a reading problem? You should ask her why she hates it so much. I dont know her age but if she hates it now, she's in for humding later in life. I would let her have a half hour break when she gets home to play and then time for home work. And if she is throwing a fit so bad, no tv no snacks or desert.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• She needs to do her own homework, not have someone give her the answers. Set up a schedule, with a designated time and place for homework. She'll stop crying when she finds there is no choice, that she's required to do her own work. Praise her efforts when you can catch her doing something right. And there should be a consequence for "fits" - that's not acceptable.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If she was like me. None of that will work. Sorry. I think I also have ADD though. Maybe that is the issue. I would have missed supper and snacks and didn't care. I was actually grounded for an entire school year. I still refused.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Homework is not a choice for my kids. They need to do their work. And when they choose not to? They suffer the consequences at school - lower grades, loss of recess, whatever the teacher wants to impose. They don't like that and that solves that problem pretty quick!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If it is that big of a struggle for her you should talk to her teacher and see how she's doing in class. There may be a reason she is struggling so much. If she is having a hard time focusing she may have ADHD, and if she really just isn't understanding she may have some other learning issue. I think it's a good idea to rule out any problems that might require extra help.

Love and Logic offers a couple of books and CDs that might help point you in the right direction. One is called "Winning the Homework Battle" and the other is called "Shaping Self-Concept". The second one is not specifically about homework, but it is aimed at teachers and I found it very interesting.  You might find these books or CDs at your local library. www.loveandlogic.com, or your granddaughter's school counselor might have a copy you can borrow. 
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have a group made up of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. Lots of advice, support and a place to just vent when you need to . We would love to have you come join us.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/7497

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Is she upset because she finds the work difficult? Does she need tutoring? Does she need glasses? Speak to the teacher and discuss the problem. The reason your granddaughter doesn't do her homework must first be explored. Generally, it's best for parents and grandparents to set a time for homework and simply say, "It's homework time." If your granddaughter doesn't do it then she will have to deal with the consequences in school. The teacher can have her do the homework in class. Homework needs to become your granddaughter's responsibility.    

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 6:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2010