why do some religions believe any form of birth control is a sin?

Can you please show me where in the Bible where God is displeased with birth control?

I do remember somewhere in there it says he was angry at someone cuz he "spilled his seed upon the ground" but i don't remember who or where in the Bible it was. I do remember he was angry at the fact that God told him to lie with her and concieve, but it had nothing to do with it being 'birth control'.

oh, found it, sorry, it wasn't God who told him not to concieve with his brothers wife, it was his dad. my bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure why exactly.... but I have my own theory. Control is one reason, another maybe they think you're killing potential spirits? I think it's better than popping out kids you don't want. Sex is inevitable. That's just my opinion though.

Kudos on the question!
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Good question...and I do know about the verse your referring too..but I honestly have no idea why anyone thinks birthcontrol is evil...we're not living in the times where we have to spread our seed throughout the whole earth to populate the planet, nor are polygamist relationships smiled apon. Ppl will create roadblocks however they can I suppose.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 6:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Good Question!  It is this irresponsible thinking that has caused the rampant spread of AIDS and starving children in Africa.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i'm not sure, but beeky these same religions don't believe in sex before marriage so what does that have to do with it? just wondering...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• while im not against birth control in any way, i think it stems from the verse "be fruitful and multiply". also, it has to do w/ God being in charge of giving life and any sex must be possible for procreation. so if we as humans step in and stop God from being able to give us a child, then we are working against God's design.

at least thats what ive always been told when i ask this question.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Not sure if I've heard of a religion being against any form of birth control, but I wonder if you mean contraception instead. If so, then:

In 1968, Pope Paul VI issued his landmark encyclical letter Humanae Vitae (Latin, "Human Life"), which reemphasized the Church’s constant teaching that it is always intrinsically wrong to use contraception to prevent new human beings from coming into existence.

Contraception is "any action which, either in anticipation of the conjugal act [sexual intercourse], or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" (Humanae Vitae 14). This includes sterilization, condoms and other barrier methods, spermicides, coitus interruptus (withdrawal method), the Pill, and all other such methods.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Few realize that up until 1930, all Protestant denominations agreed with the Catholic Church’s teaching condemning contraception as sinful. At its 1930 Lambeth Conference, the Anglican church, swayed by growing social pressure, announced that contraception would be allowed in some circumstances. Soon the Anglican church completely caved in, allowing contraception across the board. Since then, all other Protestant denominations have followed suit. Today, the Catholic Church alone proclaims the historic Christian position on contraception.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Contraception is wrong because it’s a deliberate violation of the design God built into the human race, often referred to as "natural law." The natural law purpose of sex is procreation. The pleasure that sexual intercourse provides is an additional blessing from God, intended to offer the possibility of new life while strengthening the bond of intimacy, respect, and love between husband and wife. The loving environment this bond creates is the perfect setting for nurturing children.

But sexual pleasure within marriage becomes unnatural, and even harmful to the spouses, when it is used in a way that deliberately excludes the basic purpose of sex, which is procreation. God’s gift of the sex act, along with its pleasure and intimacy, must not be abused by deliberately frustrating its natural end—procreation.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• flatlanderjenn...that is birth control...is it not?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Is contraception a modern invention? Hardly! Birth control has been around for millennia. Scrolls found in Egypt, dating to 1900 B.C., describe ancient methods of birth control that were later practiced in the Roman empire during the apostolic age. Wool that absorbed sperm, poisons that fumigated the uterus, potions, and other methods were used to prevent conception. In some centuries, even condoms were used (though made out of animal skin rather than latex).

The Bible mentions at least one form of contraception specifically and condemns it. Coitus interruptus, was used by Onan to avoid fulfilling his duty according to the ancient Jewish law of fathering children for one’s dead brother. "Judah said to Onan, ‘Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.’
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010