Do you use Hand-me-downs?

Do you recieve or give hand-me-downs for your kids? Is it just within your family or maybe from friends with little ones? My sister and I have 6 kids between us, my 1st dd is the oldest then her dd then my 2nd dd then her two sons then my son, so it usually works out pretty good with the sharing clothes back and forth :D My problem is that she never really 'sorts' the clothes she sends for my kids, well i'm sure she does but not as good as i would, kwim? She sends stained or torn or worn out clothes alot and while i'm grateful for the clothes i'm not gonna put my kids in em and they usually end up in the trash or the goodwill bag. When i sort clothes to send to her i make sure they are still in pretty decent condition and i never send underwear/socks, although maybe its cause my kids are alot rougher on clothes :P I just went through 4 more boxes of clothes she sent awhile back for my two little ones and i'm EXHAUSTED!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 5:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 5:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I've heard that boys are a lot harder on their clothes ... maybe that's why the things you get from her aren't quite as nice.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No. There wasn't anyone for my son to receive them from. He's my only child. And he's the oldest grandchild on my side of the family.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have given my son's clothes to many people then sent them to charity - same with my maternity.. I feel if you can help out, you should with hand me downs.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I LOVE hand-me-downs. Hubbys daddys pastor just sent us a BIG box of clothes, and i definitely get what you mean. I apreciate it, but somethings you just SHOULDNT pass down. There were things in there i wouldnt have sent to the salvation army. Let alone to someone who knows me or my family! Super worn out and faded stuff!! But alot of it was cute! and we got some PJs out of the deal too! :) I like to pass on clothes to others, but its stuff that my kid would still wear if it was the right size, not stained or torn or worn to bits!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yeah, we use hand me downs. Sometimes from family,sometimes from friends..sometimes friends of friends looking for someone that has a kid that the clothes will fit,lol. I give mine out too...a LOT.
    Maybe your sister leaves in the stained clothes thinking that maybe you could use them as play clothes rather than ruin the nice clothes?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• yes! my niece is 5 and my dd is 3 and my sister pawns all her stuff on me. which makes me very happy! lol and the stuff i dont need anymore goes to my niece on my dh's side. i never send stuff that is old or worn out or stained up. i know she will just throw it away anyway.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I do use hand me downs when offered. I also buy clothes from thrift shops. I was shocked once when a moms group i was with accepted donations from our group members for a fundraiser kids sale. Some of the stuff people sent was terrible , stuff torn up the leg and badly stained - like huge bleach stains on navy pants. I totally feel for you but i guess it goes back to the old saying, beggars can't be choosers. Would it work better to ask if she can set aside what she doesn't want anymore for you to take what you'd like and let her dispose of the rest?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I do only if they're nice, if they're worn and holey then I just toss them.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i love hand me downs as long as they are in ok condition. i haven't had to buy clothes for my 5 year old girl in 2 years (do buy some stuff, just don't have to) because my aunt's granddaught wears one size bigger than my girl and we get lots of nice clothes from them. but i don't take or give stuff that is stained or ripped
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 6:02 PM on Jul. 26, 2010