iron deficiency

Do you know if low iron will make your hair fall out?! As far as i know extremely low iron (chronic anemia) is my only health problem. But for the last couple weeks my hair has been falling out by the masses!!! My ponytail holder deal can now wrap around my hair 4 times instead of almost breaking at 3!!! :( any ideas at what could be causing this?

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

• I have iron defficient anemia. I'm sure it affects people in different ways. I ,myslef have NOT experienced hair loss from it. But for sure...get on an iron supplement. They do sell them over the counter..if you need a higher dosage, your doctor can prescribe you one.If you do get it though, buy a stool softner, like colace or have your dr prescribe that to you as well. Try eating a lot of green vegetables. I would also contact your doctor about the hair loss.
    Good Luck. Hope ya figure out whats going on!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It does cause your hair to thin and fall out... I suggest and iron supplement or lots of red meat
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• what pills are you on? i had to keep switching my prenate pills during all three pregs. i also heard that certain hampoos have that effect to. i know pantene was one, i think suave was another, not sure though.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Do you cook in cast iron pans? This can help with your iron levels.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I tried taking iron supplements before, and i cant keep them down, i was taking flinstone gummies with iron too and couldnt keep those down...they made me SUPER sick! Im not pregnant anymore, but my iron is still ridiculously low! I have a few cast iron pans, never knew that would help! Awesome! I need to learn how to clean them, i already had to toss one!!! Thanks Phoenix
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have anemia and my hair is extremely thick - I WISH some of it would fall out! My body doesn't absorb iron, so it doesn't matter how many iron supplements I take. Red meat is better for absorption of iron than veggies that are high in iron - of course, unless you have a cholesterol problem.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010