step dad drama.......?!?!

so my step son lives with his mom and step dad but has been staying with us for about a week because his mom and sister are on vacation, anyway, he broke down crying and couldnt calm himself down and he told his dad he misses his step dad. well my dh got pissed! im trying to explain to him that little man is way out of his element and away from his routine and hes only 7. that this is normal and hes not trying to offend or hurt him, but he says im making it worse! i had to calm him down becaus his daddy was mad at him for wanting to see his step dad! how the hell do i deal with this situation?! it makes no sense to me. my daughter quit often wants to go see her step mom. its a good thing right? they need to love and feel loved by thier step parents just as much as their biological. i just want to know what i should say to dh? he is being childish! hes mad at everyone.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• RIght now, I wouldnt even say ANYTHING to him about it. He knows he's being childish. You are doing the right thing by consoling your step son..I would keep doing that. When your dh calms down and can at least accept hearing what you have to say about it..then I would try talking to him. He'll get over it. As for your step son..thats good that he cares for his step dad...and its good he cares for YOU as the step mom too.
    Good Luck. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Its going to be hard for the dad to understand. Do you guys see your step son often? I am a step mom and I am on the other end and feel great that my kids want to call me or be with me. He should realize and be happy that his son is comfortable to be able to want to be around someone else.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• hes here every weekend. hes here often enough to be used to it but hes not ever away from his mom and step dad this long!
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with kimberlyinberea, I'd wait for DH to calm down. But you are doing a wonderful job at being supportive with your Stepson. I agree with you, he's probably a bit home sick, and I think it's a good sign that he cares for his step dad so much. My son will ask to talk to his step mother at times, so he calls her. No big deal. We all love the child and that is what is important.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with kimberly... console step son work on calming him down and let dh be and then talk to him LATER when he's calm...
    IMO,
    he really should kinda apologize and talk to his ds when he feels calm and let him know that he was not really angry with him and should not have yelled but that he felt a little hurt and was a little cranky but that in gen. he thinks its great the ds has so many people to love and to love him and that its a real blessing.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tell your DH, do not get mad at his son for this. Get mad at his ex for bringing another man into his sons life.

Answer by louise2 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010