Is four months to early to take away paci?

My older child never took a paci, my youngest uses one mainly at bed or nap time. How long will it take her to forget about the paci?

queen.bee

Asked by queen.bee at 7:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, too young, isn't it pacifying? why deprive yourself or the baby of a tool that soothes,. There will be plenty of time before the paci becomes a danger of any kind, let it be.

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it's too soon.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i took my oldest daughters away at 4 month and she still sucks her thumb. i personally think that if you gave it to her at birth you should keep it till they get rid of it or untill you take the bottle/breast away.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:09 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• we took are taking it away from our son the same time we ween from his bottle, he doesn't even seem interested in his bottle anymore, and we only give him his paci if he gets real fussy at night which is rare, we're getting ready to pack them all up soon, so we're not tempted to keep using them. he just turned one. i dont think there is a "too early" time to ween away from a paci, if baby is willing to cooperate with you, might as well do it sooner than later. hope things work out, good luck
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it just depends on the baby. My son used his until he was 2-1/2~ and he still didnt want to give it up at that point,lol. My daughter, she used it for like 2 months then she just didnt want it anymore. If it were me..I would just let him have it as long as he'll take it and wants it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think its too soon, kinda mean too :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it's a little early. Using it only at sleeping times might help out a lot. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I personally think it is way too early! What made you decide to consider this? I think if you introduced the baby to a paci, they should be allowed to use it until they find better ways to soothe themselves.
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree it's way too early. My son had stopped using his pacifier by the time he was 6 months old. It wasn't a fight or a struggle; he just didn't want/need it anymore (although he was never a huge fan of it). My daughter is almost 6 months old, and lately she's been refusing her paci as well. When they're this little, let them tell you if they still want it. Babies are hardwired to suck in order to soothe themselves.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son got sick with a cold at around 4 months and we had to take his away because he could breathe out his nose... After 3 days he was better and we gave it back but he didnt want it... depends on the baby
    ILoveConnor09

Answer by ILoveConnor09 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010