If I homeschool through elementary school how hard will it be for my son at the start of middle school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in

• It shouldn't be hard if you've provided him with a well rounded education and made sure he's met state standards for his grade level. The only problem I had when I did it was that my son was far ahead of the other students and got bored quickly, finally begging to be home schooled through graduation. My aunt home schooled her two youngest until middle school and then put them in a private school. They did very well.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• you can get better and more accurate responses if you post this question in the Happy Homeschoolers group and include the state you live in and what curriculum you plan to use.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would say very easy..
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It depends on how much interaction he gets with non family peers.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• One idea is to get him involved in your town sports teams, if they have them, so he will make some frinds in the town and see them at middle school. Two boys we knew who were home schooled joined all the town teams and were friends with a big group of kids when they switched over to the public school (in high school).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i think it all depends on your son and his personality. one of my friends in high school my freshman year, was homeschooled up until that year, by senior year he was elected class president.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i would say it shouldn't be hard, if you make sure that you keep up with the public school kids and what they are learning... and then i would suggest getting involved in community activities... it helps your older elementary kiddo meet some friends. my daughter LOVES the library reading program and meets lots of kids that go to the public school around here. while she only sees them once a week during the summer, she knows some of them by name, and would have a fun time meeting them in school since our area has just ONE middle school.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010