So Money is tight right now and.....

My kids are driving me to the edge.
They throw fits because we don't have the right food they want, or toothpaste.
They're mad 'cause they wanna go places we can't go. and do things we can't do.
And there's nothing I can do about it, they get me so bad I leave the room crying.
Any advice I would appreciate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take them to a homeless shelter and let them volunteer - meet kids who don't have enough food or a home. Are they old enough to babysit, mow lawns, walk dogs? My dd age 11 and I have a conversation before we enter any store or start any shopping trip.
    "There is no money to buy extras and we have 15 minutes." Or, "you can spend your allowance and mom does not have it in her budget to give you any more and we are spending 30 minutes in that store." The BEST gifts you can give your children are time and money management. You are a terrific parent and I agree with musicmom: they will adjust - don't give them a lot of attention.
    waterandair

Answer by waterandair at 7:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Life isn't fair. I'd be sitting them down in front of a few nice TV specials. The St. Jude's Hospital infomercial comes to mind. Perhaps a documentary on Haiti. Maybe a trip to the public library to check out some information on how people in Ethiopia live. Or maybe poverty statistics and real life stories from Appalachia.  Sounds like they have no idea how good they have it.

aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with Alice - I'd be letting them know about things like hunger and homelessness and real poverty. They need a reality check!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm sad for you right now. :*(.

Can you make saving money a game? How old are your kids? Can you emphasize eco-friendly instead of cheap? (that way the school is reinforcing you) Can you MAKE what they want to eat?

if you try to stay positive and do everything you can to make life as normal as you can for them, and they are still treating you badly, feel free to tell them to take their own money that they earn and pay for whatever they want with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• how old are they? if they are old enough.. sit them down and explain it to them.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• How old are your kids? Did you try explaining to them that you don't have enough cash right now? Sometimes they understand if you just tell them.
    mrsflawless

Answer by mrsflawless at 7:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Don't feel bad. The kids will adjust and don't let them make you feel bad. Focus and tell them on the things they have now. Like a roof over their head and at least food on the table. It will be okay.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I hear ya hon,my kids can't wait for school to start cause then they will be doing something,instead of sitting around while I'm at work all day. I bought them 7 peaks passes but they need me to take them cause noone else can. Theirs nothing for my kids to do around this one hrose town lol.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010