How many of you shop every week?

Lately I've been broke and running out of food. Today I cashed in my change jar and came up with $14.75. I went to the commissary and got a jar of classico spaghetti sauce, 2 green peppers, 1 onion, a bag of frozen mixed peppers for stir fry, a pack of beef strips for stir fry, a pack of ground turkey, a pack of chicken legs, 2 sticks of butter, and a bag of nature's own wheat bread for $14.02. With this ingredients a couple from my cupboard, I can feed myself and 2 sons for the rest of the week! I think I'm going to start shopping for what I need every week, it seems like I'll save a lot of money that way. Do you shop weekly? If so, what did you get for this week?

mommymela87

Asked by mommymela87 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• With these ingredients and a couple from my cupboard*

sorry about that typo
    mommymela87

Comment by mommymela87 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We shop weekly. we usually go for the essentials, bread, milk, eggs, cereal. sometimes we have to go a little more like with peanut butter, etc. definetly on our list is spaghetti sauce and ground beef. it does help to save money because you're not wasting food (when it's sitting in the fridge for too long).
    mrsflawless

Answer by mrsflawless at 7:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• we shop very frugally as well.

You can bake your own artisan bread for pennies... with artisan bread in five minutes a day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I shop daily, on my way home from work. I walk (we no longer have a car) right past the grocery on my way, and I stop in to pick up items from the scratch/dent bin and day old baked goods, that sort of thing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i usually shop weekly..if not food goes to waste. sometimes i even just buy dinners for 3 or 4 days at a time. I usually save by seeing what i have to work with then making a list of things i can buy to go with them. I spent 45.00 dollars two weeks ago and am still going on that but i will be needing to go to the store tomorrow to get milk.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I quite trying to shop for a whole month a couple months ago! and it did save me plenty. It gave me a chance to actually use what all was in my fridge and not throw food out!!! I also save a lot more!! I buy enough meat at once to fill my freezer. And when i get home i look at what all i need to go with it! I tend to leave a big list on the fridge of the meal plans so hubby can see and make changes or suggestions! It works out GREAT though! big money saver! Pasta is a BIG fav at the end of the month!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I shop daily to every 2 days at the most.

We buy mostly fresh produce, some meats. Those are bought every day to 2 days. Our cupboard staples are things like: whole rolled oats, basmati rice, jasmine rice, unbleached flour, potatoes, onions, garlic.. Things of that nature.

I buy fresh and cook fresh just about whenever I cook.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:55 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• We shop weekly or my husband does and he spends 250 dollars every time. I go and with 20 bucks get hot dogs, buns, bag of chips, grits, eggs, biscuits, kielbasa, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of soda, ice cream, lasagna (frozen dinners (2)), bag of frozen veggies, and a box of anytizers. In my book you did great. When we shop with a budget that wont budge we do shop more conservatively (only what we need).
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 8:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, I love fresh fruit and veggies! I wish I lived closer to the commissary, it's 15 mins away and the cheapest place to stop around here. I would love to shop daily. Hmm. Maybe I can if I go work out on base every day, I've been meaning to work out more anyway...I think you've inspired me ladies!!! Thanks!
    mommymela87

Comment by mommymela87 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Holy crap Mrs. Luv-Lee your husband would spend $250 every week??? How many munchkins do y'all have?
    mommymela87

Comment by mommymela87 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010