How old is to old for a paci?

My son is two and we took his paci away at 18 months. However, I am beginning to wonder if maybe he still needs it at night. He used to wake up briefly (not even being really awake) and we would give him a paci and he would immediately go back to sleep. Now it can take a while to soothe him back to sleep. Could it be he never really learned to go to sleep without a paci? Would it be wrong to try it again?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 8:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't know never used them but some kids do need it longer due to special needs. I'd say the earlier the better though it is hard to take away from those older kids.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My daughter just gave hers up about 6 months ago (she is 5), my oldest son started biting holes in his when he was 2 (he was told if he kept doing it that he would lose them all) and my middle son threw his in a campfire (his choice) when he was 3. I let my kids decide when to give them up and they have not looked back from it.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh, my kids also were only allowed to have them at night, never during the day.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• To me, too old is when they decide they don't want it. The only other reason I would take it away is if it was causing their ADULT teeth to shift.
    That said, I stopped replacing my first son's paci at 2.5 years. He was losing them and chewing through some so I let him know we weren't going to buy anymore. Once he lost the last one, he was done. I wish I hadn't done that. I really think he needed to satisfy that suck reflex longer. So, we won't be going about it that way with DS2. (my daughters never used a paci)
    I would leave one laying around. If he wants to use it, he'll use it. :)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• over a year

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I feel that You should let a child give up the comfort of paci when they want to not when you want them to. MOST not all, but most, children have a non-nutritive sucking need that lasts until at least 18-24 months. And in the scope of life, 5 years is not a long time to let them be kids and enjoy things like a paci. MOST kids will also give it up voluntarily before school starts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• 2. i used to say 1, but that changed. i wanted to get my ds off when he was 1 1/2, but dd was born, then daddy deployed, then we went out of town after daddy left...alot of big changes in only a half a year. when he was 2 is when i took it away. he'd gotten used to daddy being gone, and everything else that changed. dd, however, chucked hers at 2 months. thankfully :)

a little over 2 is ok, but i cringe when i see a 5yr old with a binky...

don't give it back. you've already taken it, you need to be consistant with what you chose to do. kids pick up on that stuff. if you give it back now, then take it later, it may be worse. he'll get used to not having it and will eventually sleep through the night. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I do not believe a baby should ever have a paicfier.

Answer by louise2 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I let my son hold on to his longer than he should have. He was closer to two years of age. I think that over two is really too long.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Once they are walking, they should be able to sefl-sooth on their own.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010