I have a 3 year old who is tall for his age who weighs 45 lbs. is he to young for a booster seat? The internet info isn't really clear about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In the state of GA its the height or the weight that qualifies for the next car seat. Some have weight limits. As long as he sits up tall and is properly strapped.
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 8:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• that's because every state law is different. here in Va, boosters aren't allowed until 8, 4'9, or a certain pound...i think it's 40, not sure though. check your state laws
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What state do you live in? It matters.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Different states have different laws. Try calling your local highway patrol and ask them, they will know.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 8:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Don't carseats go by weight too.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'd go with a tall backed booster with the 5 point harness. I'm concerned with his ability to withstand a crash because he's 3 and hasn't developed the muscle/bone structure needed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have a 3 year old who is 97th percentile for height and weight and the doc office said I could switch him. I won't though because he still fits his 5 pt harness and the 5pt are much much safer than the booster.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The recommendations are 4'9" and or 80 lbs. I am waiting until my son meets BOTH requirements.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have two very tall kids who outgrew their car seats around 3 years. I have them both in a graco nautilis-it is a five point harness high back booster. It goes to 65 lbs with the harness and 100 lbs as a backless booster. I would look into the nautilis....at 3 I would feel he is too young to not be in a 5 point harness.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• In Virginia, the only law is that you must use a restraint if they are under 7. That is it... officially written in the law.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010