Does your kid's preschool do this?

We are taking our DD out of preschool for the Month of August because we are going away on vacation for 2 weeks and do not think its feasible to pay the full amount for that month if she's only going to be there for 2 weeks. They require you to pay the full amount every month whether or not your kid attends the whole time.
I just spoke with the director about this and she says their vacation policy is that they require a 35% holding fee if the kid is not going to be there for that month. OK. I understand paying the full amount whether or not the kid is there, but I do not understand paying when a kid is NOT going to be there. We are addressing this early enough before the Month begins and now they want to make us pay to 'hold' his spot, even though he's not going to be there. 35% is $125. I think thats a lot! Anyway, I was wondering if this is common and if you would pay it or just take a chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every daycare I've ever used required us to pay a holding fee for vacations. Its common practice to Daycares to do this.
    .oOMellyOo.

Answer by .oOMellyOo. at 8:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would think it's fairly common. It makes sense - they want to get the full benefit of their slots that they have available. Why should they not get paid for a month and still hold your spot when they could easily give it away to someone else who is willing to pay?
    Whether or not I would pay it would depend on how well I liked the preschool. If it were my kids preschool that I had them enrolled in, then yes absolutely I would pay for them to hold the spot!

Answer by missanc at 8:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If you expect that spot to still be open for her when you get back, then yes, I would imagine you would have to pay a holding fee.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yes, every day care does that. its there way of knowning you are coming back and not letting another child take your child's spot.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It was the practice at my childrens preschool too. Good preschools fill up fast and often have smaller class sizes and have long waiting lists...so to be fair and to cover their expenses, they do need to receive most if not full payment for each spot taken.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• IDK about preschool by yepp day cares do it! They dont know if your coming back or not and thats a chunk of money lost, so its kind of like insurance for them i suppose!! I hate the way they operate, but then again if they are turning kids away to hold your kids spot and you end up not returning then what?! Theyve lost out big time!!! Sucks for the parents but makes sense as a business!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's common with preschools, dance classes everything.
    It kinda sucks, but what can you do?
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What you are describing is a daycare, not a "preschool". It's very standard practices for daycares to require parents to pay even if they are on vacation and will not be actually using the daycare.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son's preschool does this. Yes it is a preschool. It is a private preschool who often have very long waiting lists. They have be sure your child is attending or they will give that spot to some other child on the waiting list.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Why wouldn't you have to pay? My son's tuition is a yearly thing. I have to pay the full amount no matter how many days he is out of school. You want the privilege of sending your child to preschool then you have to pay for it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010