What are some activities that you do with your 3 and 4 year old to help them learn the ABC's and writing?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sesame Street. Soup. Spell out words they like such as cookie or milk. When writing a grocery list have them trace over it, or "write" their own.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:16 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would invest in the talking words factory DVD by leap frog. By far the best thing that we did for my LO. She is 2 and at 18 mos she knew all of the letter and what sound they made. She is learning to read already. I would also invest in a dry erase type of board that they can trace letters on that can be used again and again. Michael's has them in their dollar section.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• writing - build the hand muscles. The key to teaching writing starts with something not writing. Being able to write requires specific fine motor skills that many children lack until 5 or even 6. Give your child small items to manipulate - Legos, beading, sorting and creating with various little bits and pieces. These help build the hand muscles needed to utilize the pencils, markers, etc to write letters. Let your child "write" in sand with a finger or stick. Or in whipped cream or shaving cream, etc. Try finger paints.

To learn letters - read, read, read and read more. Read books like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Play I Spy looking for letters. Treat them like shapes. There are LOTS of free games online that teach letters and letter sounds. Try PBS Kids, Scholastic, and www.starfall.com. Get foam letters to play with. Make it a game. When she draws, label her art work for her and spell it out as you go. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• (Cont) I've got two early readers. My oldest could identify every letter on sight by 13 months old. My youngest was closer to 15 months when she could do it. They knew letter sounds before they were 2. My oldest read - and I mean read an early reader book on his own - at 2 1/2. My DD was 3. We did nothing more than read, read, read and play games. When they were ready it clicked. I didn't spend money on systems or specific items that teach. We had some of those, but it wasn't our primary course. Reading (and all that goes before it) is a developmental milestone that requires very specific cognitive connections to be made. You can nuture that with exposure to words and letters but it may not click if she's not ready. you know what I mean?

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I drill the kids while they are in the car. We have the music off and we sing songs and one of them is the ABC's. I also work on how to spell names and our phone number as well as our address. You can get CDs with the abc and other educational songs to play in the car or even a DVD. I feel the kids learn better when they are doing something fun with you rather than only on the tv. We play hop scotch and put different letters and numbers down and make the kids jump to a specific one then towards the end of the game the did the whole abc's or whatever counted to 10
    Brittyt4you_

Answer by Brittyt4you_ at 10:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i actually have abcs movies and i sit with him and teach him
    mami0688

Answer by mami0688 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Printable work pages.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 5:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We do hooked on phonics and he loves his meet the letters DVD
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010