When you gave birth for the SECOND time...

Was it as intense as the first time? Is the bond the same as with your first? I'm about to have my second and I'm excited but I just don't feel the same as I did right before having my first. Is that weird?

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every pregnancy, every birth and every baby is different. You will bond with your second baby in just the way you need to. Don't worry.
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• No its not weird! I was worried when I was pregnant with my fourth about having a bond and enough love to go around becase I'm so close to my third daughter. But as soon as we had some one on one time I realised it had been nothing to worry about! I'm crazy about her, just like i always had been with my other kids. And it was the same for my second...and third...
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• That's probably because you know what to expect. "having" your first is something incredible because you have never experienced it before. The bond is nothing less though, just a little different.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was sacred to death when I went to the hospital for my SECOND one!!! IDK why it was different...
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 8:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The bond with my second is much stronger... I'm still struggling to have any kind of bond with my first. The births themselves were pretty similar though, I was induced, got the epi and waited to push... Although my second only took one push - he just kinda fell out! lol! Since my first was far from what I would call "intense" I can't really answer that... But they were so close there wasn't a huge difference in anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I'm kind of like Sabrina. I have a much stronger bond with my daughter, who is my 2nd child, than I do with my first. The births of my 2 kids were similar, yet different. I had c-sections with both, but my first came after 19 hours of induced labor and my 2nd was planned. I also had an easier time breastfeeding my second child so I don't know if that had anything to do with our bonding.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My second birth went a little smoother. The pregnancy itself went much smoother with my second. My bond with both boys was about the same. If anything I bonded with the second one a little quicker since I wasn't fighting with the stress of trying to bf (turns out I don't produce milk which we didn't realize until about a week after my oldest was born).
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You will love your second baby just like you loved your first and will bond with them just the same. It seems weird now to think of being able to love someone as much as you love your child, but your heart has room and you'll fall in love all over again!

Congrats on your pregnancy and future baby :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• my second birth was about 2 hours shorter than my first and i was induced the second time around. i felt like i was much more anxious for him to just come out, then i was with my dd. and even though i still had some worries, i kinda felt like a know it all, with what to expect and everything. i had back labor with my first, not my second. the bonding was instant in both cases, even though now my dd is definately a daddys girl, but my lil guy is a mommas boy. but i love both my babies the same, i don't favor either one. i was worried about, how could i love another baby as much as my dd, but i do. it is possible and wonderful! :)
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My second was nowhere near the feeling I had with my first. First of all, with #2 I was sick ALL THE TIME. I just didnt feel bonded to him. But when he was born, and he latched on, I fell immediatly in love. If anything I've bonded more with him than I have my first. She's a total Daddys Girl and doesn't really want anything to do with me.

For the actual giving birth, it was MUCH easier the 2nd time. My body had already gone though it, it knew perfectly well what to do :)
    I also dialated faster and it took him like 5 minutes to come out.

Good luck and congradulations!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010