Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 1 year old is running a 103.7 temp. Ive given him Tylen and Motrin and doesnt seem to be going down. The Dr today diagnosed him with double ear infections and gave him antibiotics. Should I wait til morning or rush him to Urgent care?

Answer Question
 
BraeBrae213

Asked by BraeBrae213 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • i would take him in.
    jennifer588

    Answer by jennifer588 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • I would call the after hours or on call dr. Wrap your child in cold wet towels until you get further direction. If he was given shots today they may not give him anything in urgent care due to liability.
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

    Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 8:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • keep going with the tylenol and motrin. It will break. Did they give you the drops for his ears too? Sometimes that will also help with the pain. I would wait, but you know your baby. There isn't much more they can do other than put him in an ice bath. Keep his head and feet uncovered. You can also take a wet wash cloth and rub his head with it. Heat escapes through your head the best. It might make him feel a little better. Hope this ends soon! hugs.
    Lifes-A-Dance

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • Thats a tough call, ma. Try giving him a bath. Dress him in light clothing...maybe just a diaper and a onsie..maybe even hold the onsie. Take his temp again..if it still hasnt budged down, I would call the doctor...usually a doctors office has an answering seervice with an on-call doctor available if they are closed. They will call you back, ask them what you should do. My thing is...if they are sick already...bringing them to the E.R. can be worse because of all the germs. He is already on an antibiotic, so thats a good thing. Just try the bath and call the doc.
    Don't worry. I hope he feels better soon!
    kimberlyinberea

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • You have to give the medication time to work. Fevers always get worse at night because your body is settling down. The fever itself is not dangerous, just the bodies natural defense system. Give it until morning, if he still has a fever, then call the doctor back.
    Maureen-MD

    Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • I would try to wait a while to let the meds do their thing. Take his clothes of and maybe give him a cool spondge bath, and see how his fever react to that first.

    But if it hasn't gone down a bit in an hour or two, I would call dr. on call to make sure.
    Nynne

    Answer by Nynne at 9:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • 105 uncontrolled fever I would go in tonight...if any change to the lower, am MD call. I just don't take my ears or eyes off kids with fevers~if they seize, you want to be present and watch breathing patterns.
    surfcitymom

    Answer by surfcitymom at 9:00 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • Thanks! That helps me a lot. I was thinking the samethings. I didnt really want to bring him back in tonight, I will just keep the meds going and make sure it doesnt get any higher. It seems to of gone down alittle already=)
    BraeBrae213

    Comment by BraeBrae213 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • personally, i would not even give tylenol or motrin. if the body is fighting something, then the fever reducers will only prolong the battle or disrupt the entire biofeedback system.
    if you are comfortable with the fever reducers then i think you should continue with those, following dr's directions of course. i would not take him back to the dr., and i would not go to the er.
    is your son teething?
    i would breast feed and breast feed some more.
    i would cuddle if you have a cuddler, if not i would just make him as comfortable as possible. i fyou are really worried about the temperature, i would try a cool compress to the forehead.
    push the water for sure. i am not a fan of juice, but in times of sickness, if it can hydrate a kid, then i think it is ok!
    it can be very hard to watch our babies be sick uncomfortable and in pain. 80% of uncomplicated ear infections will resolve themselves within 4-7 days w/out antibiotics.
    happy2bmom25

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

  • Sponge him down with tepid water.  If that doesn't bring his temp down a bit, then take him to the ER.

    beeky

    Answer by beeky at 9:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN