Would this be unprofessional or tacky?

There is a job I'm interested in which is in another state. I have a couple of questions about the company and I'd like to know before I apply. Is it tacky to find someone through an online source (facebook, myspace, ect) who works for the company and send a message asking about the organization? I mean, some ppl are there for networking, right? Maybe the email would say something like.... I'm considering applying for ____ position at _____ and I was hoping to find someone who works there that can answer a few questions about the organization first hand....
What do you think, tacky or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think that is fine.

Have you gone to the company's website and researched the company there? I think if you send the inquiry in a private message and NOT a public wall post, and you phrase it correctly, then it is fine. Just be careful, WHO you contact. You don't want to be messaging the HR Director. SO, I would check the company website 1st to see if there is a staff directory so that you know who you are contacting 1st and also so you know who NOT to contact.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Try creating a Linked In profile. It's a social networking site designed specifically for professional networking.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i think you would get a bias opinion.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I...don't....think....so....
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Welcome to the world of networking! Use Linkedin for professional networking (chances are there is something on your Facebook, or your friends', that you would not want a potential employer to see)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think you should find out information about the company before you apply for a job there. There are always plenty of sights that offer general information about earnings, wages and their plan of business. The Better Business Bureau would give you most of these answers. I would NOT ask for information that would give you an unfair bias towards the job offer. I was the HR director for a major US company and I always liked it when the candidate at least knew what our company was about and what kind of products we made. Good luck. Be sure you have the job before you give up your current job. The job market is just not that secure.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 10:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010