As I was locking my doors, I wondered...

Since every downstairs window is open all night, does it really matter that the doors are all locked? Sometimes the french door on the screened in porch is left open for that extra breeze too. Of course the porch door is locked. But we live in a small town. I feel safe so it doesn't worry me. Anyone else able to live like this?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I live in the country so I very seldom lock anything...I've got an excellent alarm system...my dog. She'll give me enough time to load my gun.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Lol not in my neighborhood! It must be nice though.
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• There was a family in the town adjacent to me that felt the same way. I'm not going to horrify you with what happened to them... but suffice to say that years later the entire state has still not recovered and a huge part of our legal system is being completely overhauled as a result (parole and release requirements etc).

That being said, I grew up in a house that was never, never, never locked. We were always safe. Although my parents live in the same state as me so needless to say that they do lock their door now since the above unnamed incident.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• in detroit? hahahahhahah HELL NO
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You know- almost every time I watch America's Most Wanted the criminal got in thru an unlocked window. So I always lock my windows. If I were a criminal and the choice was enter noisily thru a locked window or slip in quietly thru an unlocked window- I would pick the unlocked window. Not that I go around trying to sneak in windows. LOL
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• hell no...I lock up tight~ I wish I were you~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Yeah when we lived in a small town we had the doors/windows open too. Now that we live in a city of 100K+ I deadbolt the doors & lock windows every night. Needless to say, can't wait to move out into the country!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was thinking that the other day. All our windows are open at night downstairs...and all of us are upstairs in closed bedrooms with air conditioners running. We couldnt hear if anything were to happen downstairs. We live in a failry safe community as well..I guess thats why I havent thought much about it..but anything can happen at anytime to anyone. Its a scary thought.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have found that locking the door is really more for the peace of mind of those inside than it is for the keeping of outsiders outside... Really, if a criminal want's in, they are going to get in. I don't lock the doors, and half the time when the weather is nice we have the back door open all night for a breeze... Unless you have all steel doors equipped with deadbolts and barred, bullet proof windows with locks... You aren't going to keep anyone out if they really want in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't lock my doors either. We don't have those worries - yet!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010