At how many weeks should I stop lying on my back?

I'm 14 1/2 weeks now, should I start lying on my sides or do I still have some time? Does it matter which side?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i never knew you had to but in an earlier post people were saying i think 16 weeks
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I've had 5 kids and never did I not lay on my back. I actually never heard of this till preg #5 asked the ob about it and she said there are some rumblings about it cutting off blood flow but nothing big. She told me if your comfortable go for it. Best is left side laying which they do stress if your having signs of preterm labor.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• first it was you can lay on your stomach now its your back.. just like newborn babies it keeps changing!!!! just lay however you are comfortable while you can cause once you hit your third trimester you will not be able to get comfortable for nothing!!!!
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I'm 28 weeks and I still lay on my back whenever I can. I miss laying on my stomach SO bad though. Enjoy laying on your stomach while you still can, it'll eventually get too uncomfortable! If you actually do "cut off the oxygen supply to the baby", your body will respond and you will become short of breath. You have a loooong way to go, mama, so lay however you want as long as you're comfy!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Lay how you are comfy, unless your OB tells you something else. Before too long, you probably wont be comfortable at all.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thanks for the advice, I know all about not being comfortable during pregnancy. Not looking forward to that part again. I don't think it's safe to lay on your stomah at all during pregnancy, it doesn't seem like a good idea at all. Anyways, good luck to you all!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• they say u shouldnt lie on ur back because it cuts off circulation to the baby, but i dont do it cuz its uncomfortable! how can a pregnant woman whose belly has any kind of weight lie on her back? when i do it, it kills my back, it feels like my whole uterus sinks into my body and crushes me. i can only do it if im propped up a lot. i think all pregnant women shuld just get used to side lying for the sake of their babies
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You shouldn't lie on your back during the last 1/2 of pregnancy (20 wks) because the weight of the baby put pressure on your inferior vena cava which transports deoxygenated blood back to your heart. Less blood coming back to your heart= less blood going out of your heart=less oxygen to your body=less oxygen to the baby. It can also either increase or decrease your blood pressure, depending on how your body responds to the decrease in blood flow.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 12:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• you shouldnt lay on your back!? thats crazy my first daughter i layed on my back alot. and no one ever said anything to me about that i never herd that one.
    kahmommy

Answer by kahmommy at 11:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm only 15 weeks so it's not crushing me to lay on my back yet, THATS why I can still do it and be comfortable. :)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2008