Okay Pagans... What is a Pagan? What do they believe??

Over and over and over again I see the question "What is a Pagan" or "What do Pagan's Believe." So, lets use this as our chance to show everyone who doesn't know what our basic beliefs are and how much they can vary from person to person or path to path...

What "Pagan Path" are you on? And can you give us a brief (or not brief if you want) description of your beliefs & practices...

Lets inform everyone as best we can!
**If you don't mind I would like to use some of these answers for by blog as well... Thanks ahead of time! I'll answer in a bit!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not pagan. I did want to answer so I can come back later and see the answers if you don't mind sabrina Thanks!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Hot-Mama, I would be happy to hear your answer. I know you are a "Christo-Witch" but many consider this to be a bridge between the two... Either way I would be glad to hear from you as always!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My belief of what a pagan is, may not be entirely accurate, but it is from both reading and speaking with pagans. Here it goes.

I believe first that paganism is the foundation of many things, ranging from religions (including Christian), to our very own countries values. They believe in the sacredness of all things . Pagans see this as their heritage, and retain the beliefs and values of their ancestors in forms adapted to suit modern life. They celebrate the sanctity of Nature, revering the Divine in all things; the vast, unknowable spirit that runs through the universe, both seen and unseen. Pagans honor the Divine in all its aspects, whether male or female, as parts of the sacred whole. Every man and woman is, to a Pagan, a beautiful and unique being.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Some Pagans follow multiple Gods and Goddesses, their names familiar to all from the pages of European folklore and mythology: others focus on a single Life Force of no specific gender; yet others devote themselves to a cosmic couple - Goddess and God, or Lord and Lady. Pagans Are in my opinion the foundation of moral concepts, great legacies, and have touched every ones life whether they realize it, or except it. Pagans are kind, generous peaceful people. Who believe in equality, and freedom of choice. They are very spiritual, and very wise. Their knowledge usually extends back to before any of us were alive because they tend to pass knowledge down through generations. Though like most this is not always the case. They have the most unbiased of historical documentation I have ever seen. They are usually very open minded individuals. It is the very first religion ever recorded on earth.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Over all paganism is Americanism. Again this is only MO
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Depends, which branch do you want? LOL
    Paganism is (IMO) a belief of gods outside of the mainstream. It is an umbrella term for many different groups, not all of which believe in the same deities.
    You have your Wiccans who believe in the Lord and Lady (or the TRiple Goddess etc)
    Kemetics who believe in the GOds of Egypt
    Norse Heathens who believe in the Nordic Gods
    while all have differing gods, we are all pagans.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 1:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm a Reconstructionist Heathen. I get lumped in with Pagans whether I want to be or not, but for the most part, I have very little in common with most Pagans. Eclecticism is the antithesis of reconstructionism, and Germanic Heathenry has very different rules than the (for lack of a better word) tree-hugginess of most other pantheistic faiths. I do not self-identify as Pagan, and many other Heathens and Asatru don't as well, because typically the term is used to refer to someone closer to a Wiccan path (which is also the antithesis of Heathenry).

So with that in mind - a Pagan is anyone not a Christian, Muslim or Jew (or an atheist/agnostic). It's not the definition I'd choose, but the one constantly thrust upon me, so I might as well go with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I follow a Hindu pantheon. Lakshmi is my Goddess. I dont have a specific God tho that Ive connected to.
    I believe in reincarnation and karma. I believe in being kind and helping those that I can. I believe in balance.
    I celebrate(or try to)the Wiccan Sabbats and honor the seasons and harvests, etc.
    I believe in magick, in herbs and crystals, etc and positive thinking and intent. I believe in the strength and power of our energies.
    I believe everything is made up of energy.

Im IndoWiccan Witch and that is a few of my beliefs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Kaelansmom - I mean YOUR path... Whatever path YOU are on, not in general...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm Hellenic Pagan; devoted to the Olympian deities. We worship ancient Greek Gods, including the Olympians, Nature divinities, Underworld deities & Heroes. Physical & spiritual ancestors are honoured. It's primarily based on the exchange of gifts for the gods' blessings. Typically, there's no central church or hierarchal clergy. We are usually expected to perform our own rituals & learn about the religion & Gods by reference to primary & secondary sources on ancient Greek religion & personal experience with the Gods.

We have no moral or behavioural commandments; there is no single text believed to signify the word of the Gods.
    Instead, theological beliefs and practices are based on the works of Homer, Hesiod, & others, individual experience & inspiration, & scholarly research. Our main value of Hellenism is eusebeia, often translated as piety. This implies a commitment to the worship of the Hellenic Gods & action to back thi
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010