When your 2 year old asks where her daddy is, but hasnt seen her in over a year, what is a good response?

ssiebrecht

Asked by ssiebrecht at 9:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Well....where is he? Is he going to be seeing her? What's the situation....that would help get you a better answer.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:47 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• "He is out there in the world doing important work..we can find him later if you like"
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• He went to work somewhere far or went on vacation...so as the days go by and the dad does not come back atleast by then the child will be used to not seeing their dad. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• He left me over a year ago because it was to much pressure on him. He lives only 20 mins away and has my number but never has called for anything not even her birthday. But yet went out of his way to leave me a inbox message on facebook to tell me that my daughter will be having a sibling next year his girlfriend of one year is prego.
    ssiebrecht

Comment by ssiebrecht (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tell her in very simple terms that he just needs to be somewhere else and that you love her very much, but families come in all shapes and sizes and right now, your family is just you and her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Honestly she's too little for the truth yet... I would change the subject. Or tell her that she can't see him now. I hope the bastard is at least paying you child support?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Took a long time for him to start paying, tried hiding thinking the sheriff wouldnt serve him papers and didnt bother filling them out so hes paying a well worth amount to make him suffer
    ssiebrecht

Comment by ssiebrecht (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• What a dick. Well, a 2 yr old isn't going to understand. Nor when she is 5 would I be telling her that her daddy is a deadbeat prick. She will learn it on her own, trust me. But just say, Honey, your daddy isn't around and I don't know if he ever will be. But mommy loves you and is always here for you. (do you have a dad that she loves? my kids love their papa, my hubby isn't around much with work, but anyways....) say something like...papa, grampa (whatever she calls him) lvoes you soooo much too. and explain not everyone has a mommy and a daddy.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Just say he's not here. I don't think a 2 yr old is gonna really question anymore about it.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Tell her he's can't be there and leave it at that. I'm in a similar situation. I got divorced a couple of months ago and he only sees our daughter like once a month even though he lives 15min away. There is never a set time when she gets to see him one day he just calls and says he is going to come pick her up for an hour or so. So my 2 1/2yr old is always asking where daddy is -- almost every day. I usually say he's at his house and leave it at that.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010