I want to stop cursing but I don't think I can!

I am relatively new to Christianity and trying to figure out my faith. I cuss like a sailor, and I'm not proud of it - especially when I really mess up and accidentally let the F-word fly at a church function. Cussing is something I've been doing since I knew the words and their contexts in language, and I really want to stop because I feel that your language reflects the kind of person you are. Plus it's disrespectful in most situations and I don't want my 2 year old saying these words either (he has already repeated these words and I put him in time-out; I feel like a hypocrite).

I talked to my husband, and he also cusses. He's not sure if he can stop either, but we're both interested in trying, and holding one another accountable for slip-ups and accidents. I'm hoping someone else may have overcome a similar problem and has advice on how to stop. Any thoughts, ideas, and prayers would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 9:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can stop! (Former sailor here!) Ask the Lord to give you the victory over this, and then use your will to resist the urge to do it! Each time you resist you get stronger at it. Try to avoid people who use profanity. Fill your mind with spiritual things and think on them. The Lord will honor your efforts. You may mess up sometimes but if you keep at it those words WILL stop coming.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It is tough..but you can do it!
    Just take it one day at a time. Eventually it will get easier. Also, surrounding yourself with people that don't use that kind of language helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• ME TOO .... well, I don't sware at church functions and things, but I sure do sware a lot. And I never thought I would be one of those moms who would curse at their kids, but sometimes I find myself letting something slip. Never saying the F word to them directly, but more like, I'll smack your ass or What the hell are you doing.
    My hubby and I too are making a huge effort to not do this. That and to not argue or fight infront of them. It clearly upsets them, and they are only 23 and 9 months. Pray to God for strength and guidance and awareness. That is what I do and we do as a family. Life is hard, the Lord knows it. Old habbits die hard. Just try to think and restrain at every chance you get. When my dad became a born again believer and he stopped cursing (and he was the KING) I stopped infront of him out of respect, so it's easier now that time has passed. Plus I always worked around children and had to restrain myself.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I came up with my own words. I say things like dagnabit, fudgcicles, son of a biscut eating bear, biscuits, snap, turd birds and Jimneny Cricket. I started using these words to replace my potty words. It took some time, but now these words come out when I am very frustrated, I have also found that after a while, I do not even use these words that much.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• This will take a lot of self-control and an attititude adjustment. It will be hard. But worth it.
    Myfamily and my in-laws and my friends DO NOT use bad language..and it is not a religious thing at all. It is just alot of self-respect and high standards of behavior.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would say start a swear job... set an amount (quarters are good), and for every time you let one fly you have to pay up... When the jar is full donate what you have to the Church (or other charity) the point is, if you have to start making a point to "Pay" every time you swear you will become more aware and you'll notice how quickly you learn to alter your speech!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You need a 'cuss can'. You can each police the other and try to police yourselves, but basically what you do is everytime each of you cusses, you put a quarter in the can ($1 for the F-word). This has a dual purpose...One, it makes you accountable to someone else every time you cuss b/c you'll have stop & put money in the can (or give it to your spouse to put in the can later when you are out). Two, it will help you to save money. When you have reached your goal, you can take the bounty you've accumulated in the can and either use it to reward yourselves for all your hard work or give it to a charity of choice.

Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Swearing is a bad habit we all can get caught in. When one of my sons was a baby he pulled himself up on the side of the crib at church and fell over the side of it (it was a crib for non-moving infants, mine decided that day he was going to pull himself up for the first time) so anyway he is now 19 years old and perfectly fine, let me tell ya when he flipped out of that crib I yelled the loudest OH SHIT! a church would ever hear! As I said baby was fine...momma was embarrassed for I had not said any swear words for a long time.....that one sure flew out in church, oh well were not perfect God still loves us and as long as we are trying to work on it we please him :)
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Look in the index of your bible and look up all scriptures that speak about controling your tongue then pray with those scriptures. Prayers that contain scriptures are supposed to be more powerful. Also, God tells us that when 2 or more come together and prayer that thos prayers are more powerful. So go over those scriptures with your husband and the two of you pray together. Pray that the words that come out of your mouths be pleasing to the Lord and that he uses your tongues to serve Him. It can be done. I had a cursing problem because I grew up in a house with a bunch of cursers (mom, dad, and grandfather). But I became a teacher. I got control of my tongue real fast. After a couple of weeks of no cursing in the classroom, I found that I was also no longer cursing outside of the classroom.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i agree on putting money in a jar every time you cuss. then donate it. it will make you much more aware of the words you are saying.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010