Experiences with Mirena birth control?

I was just wanting to know peoples experiences with Mirena and if you liked it, had any bad side effects, or would or wouldn't recommend it. I have 2 girls and I'm about to start school so me and my husband don't want anymore kids, at least right now...I don't want to get my tubes tied or anything permanent just in case and since Mirena lasts for 5 years I thought it might be a good route to take.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

• i had it for almost 3 yrs. i had cysts that were really painful. even had a few false positive pregnancy tests! but i never got pregnant. eventually i just couldnt stand the pain anymore and had it removed.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• hated it made me gain weight and very bad ance and just look preggo
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 10:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i had one put in 3 months ago and had to have surgery 2 weeks later because it went through my uterus and was lost in my abdomen .. i dont suggest them to anyone who has had children
    it was the worst experience of my life very painful and made caring for my children very hard and the hormones made me crazy :(
    make sure you do lots of research before deciding ... i wish i had know how common it was for them to go through the uterus wall
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 10:22 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I hated it! I thought I was going crazy and had a LOT of pain and migraines. I would NOT recommend it to anyone! I would say do your research online. I wish I would have before got it, it would have saved me a lot of pain.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I've had it for just 2 weeks shy of a year and LOVED it until about 2.5 weeks ago. I believe it shifted during sex and now I can feel it 24/7. It was really painful after it happened, but now it's just a dull ache. I have an appointment on Thursday to see what my dr says about it. I honestly would want to get one again because the year I had with it was WONDERFUL!!!! I've tried almost every kind of birth control and this is the only one I haven't had any bad side effects from and was totally worth it for the year.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:29 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• The copper IUD (paragaurd) is better, in my opinion. I had Merina and I didn't know I hated it until I had it removed a year and a half later, only to find out that I had gained 50lbs (honestly just crept up on me and I didn't notice) and could not conceive as quickly as it says that you can. After looking at some more information it is comparable to the depo shot. It is hormone based, so it messes with your body BIG TIME. In the year and a half that it took to finally conceive my second son, I only had three periods. Tell me that isn't depressing, when you are trying to have a baby and then no period and still not pregnant...it was awful. Now I have paragaurd, I still have regular (for me atleast) periods a little bit on the heavier side and a little bit longer then I am sure to, but it is not hormone based at all. With Paragaurd it can last up to ten years, and you can have it removed anytime in between just like merina.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I had it for a year and then started reading on the risks (I know should have investigated, first) you can still get pregnant, you will most likely miscarry within 22 weeks. It could cause you to no longer be able to get pregnant, could go through the uterus, non stop periods, crazy mood swings, weight gain, I could go on and on. I will never recommend it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I hated it too!! I would get sooo bloated (looking like 4 mo. pregnant) and had all sorts of hormonal symptoms. Also mine got embedded and when I finally decided to have it removed they had to RIP it out. hurt like hell. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    Hope your experience is different!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I just now watched a commercial for Mirena and the side effects and complications sound really bad. A another poster just told us, the Mirena perforating your uterus is a dangerous complication. I wouldn't take that risk. Years ago I had a Dalkon Shield IUD and it was a disaster---heavy bleeding and pain...then they recalled it and we all had ours removed. They still haven't created a safe IUD. There has to be a better way.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• hated it. bleed the entire 4 months i had it in. sex hurt. sometimes i got a feeling i was being pinched in there. even when i was going about my day. i just hated the stupid thing.

but everyone is different
    Mom.Since07

Answer by Mom.Since07 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010