Going on 14 months of NO sleep

Ok so I exaggerate .... BUT my DD won't sleep through the night. She is almost 14 months old and wakes everynight usually once, but sometimes twice or more. She goes to bed around 9pm and wakes around 2-3am, I have been told by my pediatrician all I can do is let her CIO. So, I tried that with much resistance and of course it was horrible and it didn't work. Does anyone else know what to do? Should I stop giving her a bottle in the middle of the night? What worked for you? AND on top of everything, now she refuses to go back into her crib at 2am so I have been sleeping on the loveseat in her room with her next to me. We cannot co-sleep because my hubby is a heavy sleeper. Any ideas welcome ... I'm about ready to move a full size bed in her room and give in ... I'm tired and my back hurts, PLEASE HELP!

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am still getting up several times a night and nursing my 15 month old back to sleep. No help for you. Just sympathy! :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I had the same problem!! We tried a lot of things.... eventually settled on doing this... we wouldn't talk to my DD, just place a hand on her back until she fell back sleep - it was the quickest way to get her back to sleep. She eventually grew out of it!!!! But it was a long haul!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much. In fact, we adults wake a night at least once even if we don't remember. If you do want to cosleep you can do what we do and sidecar crib
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i'd stop the bottle at night. rock her back to sleep then try to put her back in her bed. with cio you really have to stand your ground, it's harder than you would ever think.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would give her a small snack, like a graham cracker or something, and a big bottle of WARM milk right before bed. she does not need the middle of the night bottles anymore. If she wakes up, just check on her, lay her back down, tell her it's night night time and walk back out of her room. You will have to let her CIO, it is going to suck for a week or so, but you will be sooo thankful you did. Co-sleeping at this age is only going to worsen the problem - you gotta nip it in the bud while she's still little.

good luck!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You got to let her cry. i know it is horrible, but as long as she is clean and full there should be no problem letting her cry. I used to go it ever 10 minutes and rock her in the chair for 5 minutes then lie her back down. Do you rock her to sleep when she first goes to bed? If so, she hasn't learned yet how to put herself to sleep. You need to set a bedtime routine. Try bath, then bottle, then sitting and rocking for a few minutes, then lie her down and walk out of her room. She WILL cry, at first. But I promise you if you stick it out you will be so glad you did. I have 3 kids, and through the first two I learned the trick...LOL I can finally use it on my baby girl, 12 months. she has been sleeping 8pm-8am every night, like clockwork. It is all about routine, do it the same way every night. She will come to feel secure in knowing when she is going to bed and she will accept it. GOOD LUCK!!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I have the routine. She can't have a bath everynight because she has severe eczema. But other then that everything is the same. I give her a bottle, we read, and then she gets rocked to sleep. I lay her down and she wakes up looks at me and goes back to bed. She very secure at bedtime, it's just the 2am time I'm having a hard time with.
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When my LO wakes in the middle of the night I go in pick her up and she calms down. I put her back to bed and she is out until about 9 a.m. She does down at 7. You have to stand your ground or you will never be able to sleep through the night in your own bed. CIO worked very well for us. I can tell you that it is hard but it works and it works for a reason. Give it a shot and it takes about a week to work and you will be amazed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Try having her fall asleep initially in bed... not rocking her to sleep. Even if you have to sit with your hand on her back or hold her hand. She may just not "get" how to put herself back to sleep. Oh I forgot to mention... for my son we got a music/motion/light thing that goes on the side of the crib (made by fisher price)... that we would put on to help him fall asleep buy and then as he got older when he woke in the night he could turn it on him self. We also got my DD a CD player and once we put on music for her at bed time all I had to do when she woke was play that and I got back to my own bed faster!! Hang in there Mom... she will out grow it! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010