Do any of you ever get a "break"? I know I don't....

I am a stay at home mom, childcare provider for other people's children, mostly young children for over 50 hours a week. I get paid "peanuts" and then I am busy with my own child after summer activities, and after school. On weekends I clean non-stop or am busy with other chores, sleepovers, or various activities. Meanwhile my husband works "part-time", comes home, sits on the computer, and etc.... I have to do pretty much all of the cooking, cleaning, and etc... by myself without nagging constantly. My last "break" was over two weeks ago, for just a few hours. Also my daughter and husband don't consider/or think that I have a "real job" (their words); and I feel taken for granted.

kentuckyqueen

Asked by kentuckyqueen at 10:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• AMEN SISTER, you are preachin to the choir here!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Someties. Is there any way you can take a whole day to yourself and not do anything to show them that you do have a "real job"
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Let me tell you... I KNOW it is a real job! My husband thought the same thing until the roles were changed. We decided that I should go back to work and a week later he lost his job so he stayed home with our son. He said thank you almost every day after that because he knew just how much I was doing and he was taking it for granted. You're doing great!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I kept other people's kids for a while too, but quit. It wasn't worth the money! You can do better cleaning houses. And that is SO WRONG that he works part time and expects you to do everything. You should tell him that. Ooh, better idea, leave for the weekend! Go to the beach or to a friends and stay the night, and let him see what all you do and what it involves! Seriously.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Break???......what's that? My DH works from midnight till around 2pm, gets home and eats and goes back to sleep. I'm a SAHM with 3 kids and I have never left them with a babysitter (only my mom for playdates....one at a time!). NO I never get a break!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• LOL we all said the same thing :)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wish it was that simple, but there is a possibility, albeit slight one that my husband might be up for a full-time position where he works so he says he can't "jeopardize" his chances right now; even though he has like a month of vacation time saved up. I don't know, sometimes I am so frustrated and stressed I just want to cry.
    kentuckyqueen

Comment by kentuckyqueen (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Someone like you who is responsible for the health and happiness of not only your kids, but the children of others deserves a break more than most of us. Its not healthy to be that stress and overextended when you are caring for multiple children. I am sensing a little bit of underlying anger from the situation. You really need to re-evaluate the distribution of responsibilities in the house with your husband and make him realize that he needs to help you out more before you snap.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Every other weekend for me! One of the only good things about being separated from his dad. Also I do work part time and I love my job so that seems like a break to me.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would go on strike with everything that isn't necessary. Screw your hubby for not helping and being lazy.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010