How can I get my daughter to eat more veggies?

My daughter is 2 years old and has the most difficult time eating and really bad constipation. She hates veggies and is a very difficult eater. Some times it takes 5-7 days before she has bowel movement, by then her bowel is so hard we have to give her suppository to help her release. It’s so sad to see her suffer through this. Her pediatrician said we need to give her more fibers but like I said she does not like veggies and most fruits. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

KCS77

Asked by KCS77 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know they have pediasure with fiber it in ... I wonder if that would help?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You could always hide them in something she loves. LIke if she likes spaghetti then puree some veggies and mix it in with the meat and spaghetti sauce
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• prune juice any help? or prunes? or a higher fiber cereal! also you can make yummy muffins and stuff with hidden carrots and other fruits and veggies!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't use pediasure. It is like a milkshake which kids this age don't need. I have figured out with my DD who is also 2 that if I give her the things that I need her to eat first and then give her other things then she will learn to eat what is important for her. If I know that we hare having a veggies that she doesn't care for then I make that and put it on her plate. I then give her the meat. and then the starch (pasta or rice). I have learned that if I feed her in shifts she is usually hungry enough to eat what is given to her first and then eats the stuff she likes. I would try that or maybe adding a little butter or a smidge of salt to her veggies. I don't like them bland but my 2 yo prefers them w/o anything on them. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I use a veggie peeler to shread up zucchini and then sautee them. I mix it in with spaghetti noodles and my son eats them right up. Also, I call things "candy" whatever. This used to work- ds is almost 3 so he is starting to catch on though. My son gets a banana every morning, also. These seem to be liked by a lot of kids- but maybe dd would prefer a more green or more ripe banana (harder and sweeter or mushier and less tart). good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'll try all of the above! :)
    KCS77

Comment by KCS77 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Can she eat things like frosted mini wheats, wheat bran muffins, prune juice, prunes. etc?
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 10:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Have you heard of Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook "Deceptively Delicious"? Read about it here: http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/ I have a copy that I thought I would use, but I'm too lazy in the kitchen and my kids are actually really good about eating their veggies. Its a really nice book and I've barely opened it. You may have it if you just want to pay for shipping. (I hope its ok to offer that in this group. 'just joined and trying to keep up with all the rules... I mean well.) Let me know. ;)

~~carleen

ineedscents

Answer by ineedscents at 11:10 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• When my daughter started doing that, i just told her it was Dora food, and she believed me and would eat it! LOL so maybe you could do that with whatever favorite character she has.
    superm0m87

Answer by superm0m87 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Hi Ineedscents, how much is shipping and where do I send the check to? Thanks!
    KCS77

Comment by KCS77 (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2010