my almost 4 month old daughter favors her right side. she nearly always had her head turned to the right. is this a symptom of something serious?

beanbag03

Asked by beanbag03 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no idea!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't be concerned. I think most babies have a favorite side. My boys always preferred one side to the other. My youngest was so bad that his head started to get a bit misshapen. You may just want to turn her to the other side and prop a pillow behind her so she can't turn. They used to sell some foam wedges for this....been a long time since I've bought baby stuff but they worked pretty well.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It's pretty normal for babies. I read somewhere that many babies are hard-wired to look to the right. They do outgrow this favoritism though. Just keep encouraging her to look to the left during play and with touch. Be sure to mention this to her doctor at your 4 month appointment.
    CAMKsMom

Answer by CAMKsMom at 10:54 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Oh wow! I posted this exact question 2 years ago when my daughter was that age, LOL!!! I was so worried, and up until had never heard anyone else talk about this weird symptom. She always turned her head to the right and it made me think maybe she had a cyst or something on her neck. She would even scream if I tried to turn her head left. Turns out she was just stubborn and didn't like change. She has some lymph nodes that always seem swollen, but I've seen a couple of docs that say its nothing. She'll outgrow it as she gets more comfortable in the world :)
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't think you should be too worried. I think at that age my son preferred 1 side over the other. He's almost 1 year old now and he likes both sides equally. She may get a flat spot on the side that she lays on most often though, so as much as you can, try to get her to lay on the other side. If you are worried, you can always ask her doctor if that is a symptom of a problem.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son was the same way at 4 months. He even had a flat spot on his head. I checked with his pedi and she wasn't too concerned. No matter HOW much I turned him, he would NEVER stay on his left side. By 6 months his flat spot was not changing. We ended up having to see an orthotist for a cranial helmet to reshape his head. He had to wear it for 4 months and it wasn't a big deal, but kind of got in our way. It's hard to snuggle a baby with a big ol plastic helmet on his head! But I would do it all over again!! However, DON'T wait until 6 months!! By the time we got in to see the specialiat and actually got his helmet he was nearly 8 months and almost too old for it. They usually get them by the time they are 5 or 6 months because their skulls start to fuse together. By age 1 they are basically useless. So if you have concerns, make sure you bring them up at her 4 month appt. BTW - my son is almost 2 and STILL favors his right!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I don't think its a problem, both of my kids favored one side or the other untill they could roll over and they have a favorite side still years later. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i favor my right side too. I'm completely normal,
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son started this around 3 months but it was his left side. Pedi said if they CAN turn thier neck the other way just fine (and he could), not to worry. His was gone by about 5.5 months. Its just how he was comfy :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It could be but it's most likely not. Just keep in touch with your pedi about it.
    When Nicolai was that age, he would ONLY nurse from the right side. He just prefered the right. I would have to lay in the side-lying position as if I were offering the right breast but lean over to get him to take the left one. He grew out of it at about 6 months.

Good luck Mama! I know it sucks.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2010