How do i get my 15 month old off her pacifier?

She is very dependent on it to soothe her to sleep and stay asleep.I am also trying to ween her from the bottle.And now she is wanting her pacifier even more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't take a pacifier, but with the bottle, we just stopped giving it to him and he was fine. That's the method I would use with a pacifier as well.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Just don't give it back. I would take him to pick out a new big boy blanket or stuffed animal that he can have instead. I have having trouble with Lovey's. We used those when we took the paci away. We are now down to only at nap and bed time with them. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My oldest was 2 1/2 when I weaned him from the paci...so I don't know if this will work with a 15 month old or not, but you can try. (I also have an almost 2 year old who is VERY dependent on it and I am not ready to try with him yet!) But I just cut the tip of the paci off and gave it to him. He looked at it, handed it back to me and said "broken! nuther one!" - I gave him another one and he didn't want that one either. That was it. I can only hope my youngest is that easy when I decide to break him!! One thing - you may one to try breaking one thing at a time with her. I don't know if it makes a difference, but maybe taking away ONE comfort object at a time is enough. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with her still having a paci and how comfortable SHE is having them both gone. LIke someone else suggested, maybe she can get attached to another luvy.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Don't do both at the same time, pick 1 and go with it, then when she's well adjusted and doesn't miss the it, then tackle the other. I'm trying to wean my 17mo old off the bottle, he only gets one at night usually, but he loves it soooo much, he still begs for one during the day, which we just cut and are strictly on cups during the day and he still asks for it, but daytime isn't too bad, but nighttime will be tougher. I think anytime you break a habit, you're going to have an avg 3 days of hell, doesn't matter how you do it, so you might as well just cold turkey it. I made a big deal out of it with my other son thinking he'd fight it really bad but he could've cared less after the 2nd night. I was so surprised. I'm dreading it with my little guy though, probably because I identify it with him growing up. Plus he does have a love affair with that bottle like I've never seen before, so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised again.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• With my son, when he turned 1, we took away the bottle and gave him a soft tip sippy to get used to the shape and after that we went to hard tipped sippies. With the paci, we tried cutting the tip, hiding them, everything and nothing worked. We did that over and over again for a couple months until one day he had enough and just stopped asking for it. Also if your child has a thing about throwing away trash and things that are "yucky", you can try making her get rid of it herself.
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• At 15 months it isn't going to hurt her to let her have the paci at night to soothe herself to sleep. I would let her keep the paci in her crib/toddler bed for a while longer. My son is 20 months and at around 18 months he started just holding onto it at naptime/bedtime instead of actually having it in his mouth (we had limited it to his crib at 9 months or so). Many kids will stop using it on their own given a little time.

Answer by missanc at 8:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010