Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do with these cats??

Last week, I adopted 2 male cats from a "friend". He said he had them since birth & could not keep them anymore; he hated leaving them locked up in his basement while he was gone all the time. I took them in and its been rough going!

First off, I have some kind of rash & swelling on my face & eye area. I'm not allergic;(I've had cats/dogs all my life with no trouble) & 1 of the cats has been puking twice a day since I brought them home & 1 has areas of fur missing on his body;(my friend said that was from being left in the basement & "stress"). I called the guy I got them from and he said, basicly, "sorry your out of luck, their your cats now" & he won't take them back!

I'm getting sick from them, he wasn't totaly honest with me regarding them;(they're totaly healthy according to him) I don't have the money to take them to the vet & I can't keep them />

What are my options??

Answer Question

Asked by cjs702006 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pets

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Take them to a shelter. They will treat them if they are sick and may be able to find homes for them. If you are concerned about them being put down you may be able to find a no kill shelter for cats in your area. It sounds like they didn't come from the best of circumstances. Missing fur can be caused by a few things including fleas. If you can't afford to take them to a vet please get them to a shelter for treatment.

    Answer by maryhelenk at 8:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • I don''t mean to be rude but before you take an animal in you need to prepare for unexpected expensies... this is why america has such a huge problem with over population in the shelters. I feel bad for all these perfectly good animals being put down or spending their lives in kennels and cages.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • If I was in your situation.... I would call your doctor and ask them if you could be having an allergic reaction. Then i would call the vets in your area and find one that will let you make payments. They need to get to a vet, especially the one with hair missing and puking. If its a longer haired cat than it may have a hairball stuck and need some laxatone (basically tuna flavored petrolium jelly like)which is what i give my cats because they are medium haired cats and tend to get "clogged". You yourself also need to be seen... but if you find you cant care for these cats then you should find them a new home with someone who can afford them or take them to a no kill shelter.

    Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • take them to a vet, have them looked at, treat their problems.....

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.