TODDLER WITH FEVER

My 13 month old boy has a fever of 101 for the past 3 days. It started with 5 to 6 hours interval and now it's 8 to 9 hours. He got the chicken pot vaccination 10 days ago. My question is, should I bring him to my ped or is it just the reaction from the shot ?

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it is a reaction to the shot, I wouldn't call it a normal one. He could just coincidentally be sick, but you may want to call his pediatrician.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would at the very least call your son's pediatrician and let them know what is going on. From there it can be recommended to bring him in or give him Tylenol or call in a prescription, etc.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• 10 days after the vaccine is too long for it to be a reaction ot the shot. He is just sick with something. Odd are it is some type of virus that will run it's course. But check for other symptoms like an ear ache or his tonsils hurting, etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• If he is still sick in the morning give the pediatrician a call. The nurse should be able to tell whether or not they want to see him. After 10 days it is unlikely that the shot has anything to do with it.

Hope he feels better soon.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Usually if a fever lingers for more than 3 days then that warrants a trip to get checked out.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:59 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He got the shot and a couple weeks later he got a fever and cold symptoms. He then broke out in a pox rash. He got pox from the vax, a real contagious outbreak. It was very mild and after the cold part went away he didnt seem to notice. That said with the varicella, if they are going to get an outbreak of a contagious rash it will be 2 to 3 weeks after the shot, so it isnt too late after the shot. I would call and see though. And if thats what it is, dont worry. The cases from the vax are very very mild. Pm me if you have any questions :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree that it's too late for it to be a reactio. Even thought it's not a really high fever, at that age, you should still call the ped just to make sure.
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 1:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2010