How do you get out of a depressive funk? adult content

There was a major house fire in my neighborhood last month and I have been in a major depressive funk because of it. I cannot walk my dog past that house so our walks around the block have ended. I do see a doctor for this condition and I will ask him too. But what are some ways you have pulled yourself out of a blue mood? Thanks, all.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 11:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Health

• Interestingly enough....EXERCISE is a known depression lifter! Exercise increases the serotonin levels in your brain which is directly related to staving off depression. Why don;t you change your walking route, to avoid the house.   Another is making a CD or tape of your favorite songs...the ones that bring back positive thoughts, and get you "toe tapping" and singing along! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Vitamin B Complex.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I take 2000 mcg of vitamin B12 for headache prevention. I will try to exercise more.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Mine has always been to get outside and get active. Is there another way you can walk your dog so that you don't come across this house? Or maybe drive to the park and walk there; your dog probably misses these walks as much as you. Also having someone to talk to or to check in on you helps.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:58 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Personally I have read self help books, I try to get out in the sun for awhile during the day it helps. Taking a St. John's Wort once a day. I exercise more. I fell into depression about 8 months ago and I am doing a lot better.
    Also this sounds weird but reading books to reprogram the way you think. Because the more negative you think the worse your thoughts get and the more positive you feel and think the better off you will be.
    Keep strong and you head high.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 5:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010