Is it okay to date when you are at the end of your divorce if you don't get physical?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• more info
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would caution you not to date until after the divorce is final. Some soon to be ex's get really mad that you are dating again and can make lots of trouble for you in regards to custody issues with children. He/She may feel that you are bringing your children around unsavory strangers. I know it is a bummer, but if the new person is worth it, they will understand to wait until everything is done and final. Then there is nothing your ex can do to you, just for spite. Just my advice. Been there, done that.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think so.
    MamaNiecey

Answer by MamaNiecey at 11:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it makes more sense to take some time to work on the issues of yourself that contributed to your divorce & become healthy emotionally before jumping into another relationship. Otherwise, you just drag that baggage along with you & it contaminates the next relationship.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

***

^^^ THIS!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:39 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I would tread carefully on this one my friend.....
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I agree with ghostwriter comment.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• It was in Ky when I got my divorce. My attorney said I could date as soon as I filed. Ask your attorney. Your state might have rules against it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation. I've known my current significant other for 4 or 5 years and he hasn't lived with his wife the whole time. they've been legally separated for 3 years. we've been together for 2 because his ex wife wants nothing more than to drag things out in hopes he'll give up and go back to here which he won't how ever if you've had a speedy divorce and it's been less than a year I'd wait until it was final so you could go into your next relationship with nothing holding you back.
    MizzGidget

Answer by MizzGidget at 11:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Okay, well so much for staying anonymous, I don't know how to respond being anonymous so, thank you all for your responses! I'm not dating, I am curious though. My late husband was emotionally abusive and very controlling, I emotinally left him years ago but just physically left him a year ago. Our divorce should be final in a few months, thank God!
    IAmFreeToDance

Answer by IAmFreeToDance at 11:50 PM on Jul. 26, 2010