I'm ready to quit breastfeeding my 15 month old. He has not been a good sleeper since birth. I feel he is just needing it now for comfort. He eats everyday food with us so he only has breastmilk twice at naps and for bedtiime. I'm ready to stop though. It's really hard and I don't know how to do it. Help?

How to quit breastfeeding altogether. What's the best way?

kellythevenot

Asked by kellythevenot at 11:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stop. and dont give in. spend the time you would spend feeding him reading to him instead.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• if he's down to twice a day, he may stop on his own soon anyway!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Weaning is meant to happen slowly and gradually at the child's pace. I wouldn't worry about stopping something he only does 2x a day, especially if that something is good for him.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:48 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• You're supposed to wean gradually, cut 1 feeding at a time. This helps so you don't become engorged or leak. The way I weaned my first was cutting 1 feeding per week, so he was at 3 feedings a day (morning, noon, night) and I just stopped the morning for a week, then on to the noontime for the 2nd week and for the 3rd week cut the night one. If you quit suddenly you might become engorged and this can be painful. Good luck.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Well the way I weaned my 11 month old was to give her a sippy cup. I don't know why, but it just wasn't a problem for me. Maybe it's the age that makes the difference.
    arkansasmom1985

Answer by arkansasmom1985 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You really need to stop, at 15 months he should have already been weaned. Find something else to do instead, and take his mind off of it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html#childled

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

15 mos is hardly when you "should" wean by. Ideally, it goes at least 2 yrs.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Does he use sippy cups already? does he drink whole milk already? He probably is doing it for comfort and if u can just find another way to give him that comfort then he'll stop on his own. My son was probably the easiest to wean (did it himself mostly) cause he is a thumb sucker, while not ideal it did help me :P Try reading before nap time or singing lullabys and just snuggle him but no BFing, and like most PPs said gradual is best, shouldn't take long though :) Good luck!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010