Would this be considered racist?

We are white and just moved to a new city where there are alot of different races... we come from a really small country town that is pretty much 99% white. Today at the store my daughter ( 3 years old) seen a black girl and kept saying how pretty the "chocolate" girl was ... the girls mom seemed to be pretty upset over hearing this ( we were beside each other in line) ... but I wasnt sure what to say.... she also calls herself and other white / blonde hair girls vanilla ..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oh good grief! she wasn't pointing out race..she wasn't blind! she could obviously tell the other girl was a different color..COLOR is not a bad thing, people! 3yos, for goodness sakes, is not old enough to know anything racist..if you asked a 3yo about 'race', they'd say 'ready, set, GO!' and take off running.
    i wouldn't worry about upsetting the other lady. if she was upset so much that YOU (op) could tell, its SHE who has the problem. not your 3yo baby.
    some people are ready to fight about anything. stupid, just stupid.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• She obviously WASN'T being taught to point out race. I mean...do you think her parents taught her "chocolate and vanilla"? It's completely innocent for a child to say something like that. Racism involves HATE...that is not hate, and that's that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, a child is not a racist even if these women were offended.
    arkansasmom1985

Answer by arkansasmom1985 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think it's ridiculous to get upset over a 3 year old saying that. However, this would be a good opportunity to start teaching her what to say and what not to say about other people. As for who would be teaching her to point out race, she is coming from a place where 99% of the population is one race so when she sees a different skin color, it's likely to jump right out at her. She is a child, she noted on a child's terms the difference she saw.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No, that is not racist! She should learn as she gets older not to say that, lol, but she's THREE! Three years old can't truly be racist. I think it's cute that she thought of flavors, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My fat, nasty aunt Jan use to call black people "chocolate drops" as a racial slur. So I can her being offended. Now is a good time to talk to your LO about differences in color and about not saying things that might hurt people's feelings.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Um she is only a little girl! She is 3! She wouldent know it was wrong! But she does need to be tought not to point out peoples race bc some people get huffy over stuff like that!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I can see how she could be seen that way by some overly sensitive adult who is willing to be offended by a 3yo... But NO, your daughter isn't being racist... She's simply at an age where she is learning there are different colors of skin out there and she doesn't know how else to describe them... I would say now is a great time to help her explore this new found difference and help her to understand that every color in the crayola box comes from the same wax!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• she is 3 she doesent understand, but my question is who is teaching her to point out race?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think you need to teach your daughter not to say stuff like that because she may be 3 yrs old and not understand but others around her espeically the adults are going to get upset about it and you're going to look like the enemy not your 3 yr old.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010