Teething & Breastfeeding! OUCH!

I have a 7 month old baby and her first tooth is coming in... I am so afraid to be Nursing and having her bite me. She wont drink milk out of a bottle or sippy cup.. so What should I do? Thanks in advance mommys!

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she bites, insert your finger in between your nipple and her mouth, take her off, and gently but firmly say no, that hurts mommy.

She understands more than you think.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When she bites during breast feeding take her off for a minute then place her back on and she bites again take her off again and so on. My son had 4 teeth before he turned 4 months, 2 top and 2 bottom and he bit a lot but I just took hm off each time and he eventually learned if he bites he doesn't get mommy's booby.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Babies don't understand saying no. It can scare them and they can have a nursing strike. Some moms do it but I wouldn't risk it. You can watch the baby and see when they are starting to bite down and slip your finger in or draw baby closer so the baby will open it's mouth to breath (recommended by La Leche League). Before nursing you can massage gums and/or the TMJs.

Teething is rarely a problem. Throughout all of human history children have breastfed 3 or more years. Obviously moms have figured out how to nurse without it hurting. I didn't have problems with any of my 3 children with biting when teething. One of my children would bite down if he feel asleep on the breastf and started dreaming.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

•  

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website with info about teething.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When my daughter bit me, I would say NO very sternly and then put her on the floor for about a minute and end the nursing session. She only bit me a few times before she learned that got her nowhere. Also they can't bite while they are actively sucking, so they tend to bite at the end of a feeding and are more playing than eating. So if you pay attention while you're nursing you can stop it before it happens.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• im sorry i cant help ya- i didnt make it past 5 months when my first son got his first 2 teeth and i got it 4 times in one day and gave up *no support at the time. Seems like everyone has pretty good ideas though...Im gonna try them with this little one!
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 2:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010