How to get a 5 year old to wake himself up at night to use the bathroom?

We have tried cutting off the liquids at 6PM. He goes to the bathroom right before bed. We have tried to wake him up in the middle of the night but he won't stay awake to go to the bathroom.

MrsReed09

Asked by MrsReed09 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ...Do you escort him to the bathroom when you wake him up at night? We did the waking before we went to bed thing, escorted him to the bathroom, even though he was half asleep, and after about a month and half or so, he was night trained and would get up himself if necessary.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 7 year old still can't wake her self up to use the bathroom. I don't think some kids can. Just don't make a big deal and use pullups.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree with PP with the 7 yr old. My daughter was 7 before she was dry at night, or waking up to go to the bathroom. Her pediatrician said this was normal, she would do it when she was ready. We used pullups for as long as we had to.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 12:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• My 9 yo still has issues.... I have no clue!
    psych_mom

Answer by psych_mom at 1:37 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We have to basically carry him to the bathroom.Tell him to go to the bathroom. Try to help him pull his short and pull up down to go and he will fall on the floor. We have tried doing it for him too and he just falls to the floor and cries or goes all the way back to sleep. Hubby and I don't make a big deal about it. He wakes up in the mornings and tells us he peed in it and has to work on it. Will even tell us to wake him up, but it isn't working. We will just keep buying pull ups. Thanks ladies. :)
    MrsReed09

Comment by MrsReed09 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2010