I have this 2 year old that would drink lots of milk, but during dinner, lunch or breakfast time.. she would just chew her food and spit it out/not sallow it? is this normal?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 1/2 year old used to do the same thing, even without the milk. I would try to limit the milk and wait to see if it's just a phase. It's highly annoying to see chewed up food on your kids plate, but hopefully she will realize that it's not funny and she needs to eat her regular meal or she gets nothing else.
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Stop giving her so much milk. Milk fills the tummy. If you want her to eat her food giver her water to drink instead.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Limit her milk consumption and she may eat much better. My son was the same way, and it never really occurred to me at first, but he did eat much better after I started cutting his milk back and timing it better with meals. If it's just at mealtime that she's doing this, maybe try replacing the milk with water and maybe she won't like it as much and eat the food better?
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies, limit her milk consumption
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The milk is probably filling her up. I would cut it back :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If she's chewing her food and spitting it out, maybe she's having problems swallowing solids, but the milk is no problem. I personally would have her checked over by an ENT to rule out anything standing in the way of eating properly. And if that wasn't the problem - no milk til after meals.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• thanks mamas
    navajomama7

Comment by navajomama7 (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My toddler was a MILK HEAD! She wanted milk alllllll the time. So I just had to be a bad mommy and limit the milk and go to water or diluted juice. I give her milk for breakfast and snack, but just half a sippy cup full.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2010