What feelings were you surprised by once you got your baby home?

For me: I didn't realize I would still feel fat and look 5 months pregnant (!), I suddenly and for no real reason "hated" my husband. I've had friends who said they were really sad when they thought they would be happy or they felt like they didn't really "know" their baby. What surprised you?

Cafe Suzanne

Asked by Cafe Suzanne at 9:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was surprised that a baby could cry so much. I was also surprised how short my time from work and school actually was (2 Weeks!).
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was surprised that I got upset when my mil could make my son happy.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• lol I was the opposite - I have always been really skinny and I gained 45 lbs with the baby. After I had her I was like "look! I look like I used to!" And my mom and best friend said that I still looked 5 months pregnant.
    I thought I would be happy and I was - I guess what surprised me was that she let me sleep.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• sleeping as little as we did.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 9:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• How small she was. I have never held a baby that small 6lbs 5 oz... All my relatives have big babies. This was my first. I was also surprised how mad I would get at people for not holding her right or talking to her a certain way... whoa...I was a little out of control. I've improved only a little bit lol. Shes almost 5 months old, maybe I will be better by kindergarten.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• With my first, he was in the NICU for 6.5 weeks, so I guess it was just how much I love this little boy. I actually said to my hubby "I never knew how much my parents loved me." And then it was how much I loved my hubby.

With Chloe, since she came home with me, It was just how easy it was. I brought a 6.5 week old home the first time, so he was much more active, she just slept most of the time. I told hubby she was kind of boring :0)
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i couldnt believe that you can love one little person soooo much! im always worried about other people holding him even his father! I know im over protective of him i didnt think i would be like that at all. I started shaking and crying when other people held him in his first weeks now im a bit better... weird
    jls_mama

Answer by jls_mama at 9:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• About a week after I delivered (and being at home with baby), I put a lullaby on for the first time. It struck a cord somewhere and I all of a sudden realized I had really just produced a little person. I cried for 20 minutes, it was like I just realized I had a baby. I guess I was in shell shock before.

And I agree with the above comment. We had a family get together a week or two after she was born, and everyone was passing the baby around, and I kinda freaked out about it because so many people (it was just family but STILL!!) were touching her.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was surprised how hard breastfeeding was. I thought it was supposed to come natural. It's also very, very demanding. I was also surprised how much I hated my husband. I just wanted to slap him in the back of the head as he lay there sleeping while I nursed the baby all night long. I was also surprised how difficult it is to go places. You can't just run into the store anymore. You have to lug that infant car seat around and that thing is heavy. I'm still really surprised that my baby can live off my breastmilk alone. My b size breasts are producing what is keeping my baby alive and growing. Now that's amazing!
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I hate to admit it but I actually said I wanted my husband and mil to take him away I didnt want him. That was the first three days after we brought him home. I was an emotional wreck. I had a c-section, I dont know if that had anything to do with it, but I did not have a connection with him till about a week later. Now I love him so much and hate myself for thinking the things I did those few days. The funny thing is I would only get emotionally out of control at about 4-7pm those three days.
    firstmommy554

Answer by firstmommy554 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008