Do you and your spouse/SO have the same belief system?

What is yours and what is his? If your belief systems are not the same, does that cause any problems?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 1:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP, I didn't know that about you. You have had quite the tests & trials. I believe that God uses every experience in our lives (good & bad) for our good. (Romans 8:28) My husband & I are both Christians. There have been many tests & trials in our lives, marriage, family-building, but I wouldn't trade one experience, because it's made us who we are today. We are very blessed. :)

OP, Isn't it amazing that even when we try to run from the Lord, that he loves us so much that he "chases" us? Psalm 139 says, Where can I go that you aren't there?

7 I can never escape from your Spirit!
    I can never get away from your presence!
    8 If I go up to heaven, you are there;
    if I go down to the grave,[a] you are there.
    9 If I ride the wings of the morning,
    if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    and your strength will support me.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was very much away from God or any sense of "right" for many years and loved to do everything that was wrong and bad for me but the day came when I got sick of it and had an encounter with God. Since then have been striving to do more right and live to serve my family and Him. Hubby raised strict Christian then also rebelled for a while and now we both just want to do what is pleasing to God and not man. Spirit filled baby!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 5:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm an Atheist and my husband is Christian. We don't discuss religion and so it's not an issue in our marriage.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 11 I could ask the darkness to hide me
    and the light around me to become night—
    12 but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
    To you the night shines as bright as day.
    Darkness and light are the same to you.

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
    15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
    16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
    Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.

Amazing! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yes, we are both Atheist.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yes
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Religion wise, sorta. He grew up catholic, I grew up christian. Now, we both are agnostic for the most part.

As for our general belief system, such as parenting...it does tend to butt heads when our parenting beliefs do not mesh.
    ycatstouch

Answer by ycatstouch at 1:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No we don't. I'm an Atheist and he is....well I know he believes in a god but he doesn't follow and particular region. We respect each others beliefs and don't push each other either.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was raised Catholic, then as a teenager I began to turn my back on God, preferring the things that the world had to offer and the approval of my friends. By my junior year in high school I considered myself an atheist. As a young adult, I decided that I believed in some sort of "higher power", but I didn't like the idea of the Christian God that I had been taught about when I was growing up. The feminist in me was offended. I went through New Age thought for a time, then was pantheist for many years before deciding that the Truth was nailed to a tree 2000 years ago. Even then, I resisted giving my life to Him for a few years until a life crisis literally brought me to my knees. My DH had been Lutheran, so we went to a Lutheran church for a while but left because we felt the need to be around fire. We ended up in a non-denominational charismatic church for a few years, which we loved. (cont)
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 1:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• NO I'm a Christo-witch to be exact, he is atheist/agnostic. It has never caused any issues. Our relationship is not revolved around our beliefs.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2010