(sigh) I need your BEST potty-training tips ladies

I'm on my second child. She's 27 months and having problems with potty-training. She refuses to poop on the potty but as soon as she does it in her diaper or panties that I let her sometimes wear so she can feel it, she's saying,"I pooped! Need a diaper!" She's an extremely smart girl, has learned everything way early! She tries peeing on the potty but doesn't get there in time because when she tells us she has to go she's already in process. She's ok with sitting on the potty if its to pee, but not poop. She acts fearful. I've even "showed" her how to pee and poop myself! I thought putting her in panties would simplify everything and she's be trained in a week or so but it didn't help. She cries on the potty for poop but not for pee. Tell me what to do!!!!!! M&M's and stickers aren't going to help if I can't get her to sit on the potty withouht crying. As soon as I sit her there she's saying, "Up! Up!"

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, maybe she just needs a little more time. The area of the spinal cord that gives one control over the spincters is completed between 18-24months in most children, if she understands where she's supposed to go, but can't seem to quite control it, then maybe give her a month or two and try again then. Or you can just hold firm with the undies, I believe cloth undies is the only way to potty train children. I tried the 3 day potty training method when my son was around 18 months old and he was pee trained within that time, but he took MUCH longer for bowel movements.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I forgot to add, that you could just stand firm with the undies and putting her on the potty every 30 minutes and praising her, singing, playing finger play games, or having her read books, candy worked well for my son, but if it's not working and she's not making any improvements, then give it a rest and start fresh in a month or so. You don't want to push too long with no success or improvement since that's discouraging for her and you and it could be based on her physical maturity, not her lack of getting the concept. Best of luck! Potty training sucks. ;)
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• For my son who is now 31 months and potty trained at about 27 months, we went with undies and never looked back. I saw that you tried the panties occasionally, but if you stay with them and get rid of most of the diapers (hiding a few just in case) and tell her you gave them to a baby and she doesn't need them anymore because she's a big girl it might help. The underwear will be really messy for a while, so you might want to try to start that when you know you won't have anything to do for a couple days (work, school, ect.) If she cries and wants to get up, say ok we will try again later and even if the stickers or whatever doesn't work, making her feel that your extremely proud of her for at least trying will make her want to at least try it. Good luck!
    starlette17

Answer by starlette17 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Is she around any small children in diapers? It could be her way of holding back and trying to still be a 'baby'. I would talk to a doctor about it, you should start potty training only if they are going a few hours in between wet diapers? Was she showing all the signs of readiness? If not, I would wait it out, she might not be ready.
    If she was showing all the signs, then I would put her in undies, and than have her try to go potty at least every hour if not every half hour, that way she's got ample opportunity to go on the potty.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• read this. its for younger babies but timing and cotton training pants are the same. do yu take her with you to the bathroom to watch and go together? http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My daughter cried when it came time to poop. But I would hug her and calm her down the hole time she was on the potty.. I held her tight and finally she did it and it was ok from that point on. It is scary to little ones. Just hold her, sing her a calming song.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• my son has been pee trained for over a month now but also has problems with poop. he too seems fearful. yesterday he did his first poop in the potty and looked scared to death when it happened. i praised and sang and danced like a fool haha, but he smiled at me and i hope he knows that it was a good thing. i'm hoping he goes again today and we can make progress. just keep at it though.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 1:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010