what are some discipline techniques for 3 year olds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nose in the corner
    take away toys or priveledges
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I usually don't even have to break it out, but if my son acts mean or starts with his whining or a fit I tell him I'm going to get the wooden spoon out, and ask him if he would like a spanking. I think I've popped him on the butt with it a couple of times and just saying that I will get it out makes him straighten up fast! Depending on the situation I use time out or make him sit in his room until he's ready to be a big boy and every so often throw in a threat to get out the wooden spoon.
    ConnersMom1204

Answer by ConnersMom1204 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• What ever happened to a time out? And it all depends on the behavior that warrents diciplining.
    michaelsmommy1

Answer by michaelsmommy1 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Time outs are good. Since your child is 3 you should put them in time out for 3 minutes and when they're 4 up it to 4 minutes. I would try not to spank because that teaches them to solve things with violence or physical means rather than our words and other problem solving techniques. I would talk to your child about good choices and bad choices. At this age they should know the difference. After they do something they are not supposed to ask them, "Do you think that was a good choice? No, you're right it wasn't. If you do that again you are going to get a time out."
    danielleoconn

Answer by danielleoconn at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i do nose in the corner and saying sorry (sorry for not listening....sorry for throwing you toy... sorry for telling you no mommy...etc) if you talk to them in a calm manor they are more likely to understand and listen. i never discipline my daughter if i'm too worked up to deal with it properly. i don't wanna over react or make the situation any worse than it'd need to be.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Child training works great. I have 5 great children to show for it! Well, one isn't 3 yet, but at 2 he's a real joy already. I'm sure our next little one will be also. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• timeouts. If you feel that you need anything more than take a time out for yourself and calm down.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 8:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Timeouts (1 minute per year of age)
    Star charts (praising and rewardig good behaviour) We have a star chart for not whining when we brush our teeth and for being nice to the baby. (I have twin 3 year olds)
    Taking away favourite toys (or toys they arent sharing nicely...they get taken away completley and given back at the end of the day if they behave)

Oh and always explain WHY you are punishing the child....and what they can do to make things better. And I always make them apologise to me, eachother or their little sister.

No physical violence here im afraid.........it makes a child afraid of you...makes them afraid of being hit...not learning that the action itself is wrong.
    Plus if its okay for you to hit your kid...why can't they hit others when they start school?
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 9:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2008