• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it's ok for Mom to escape for a weekend or longer?

I have a few friends who are parents. Many of them escape a couple times a year for at least long weekends (sometimes as long as a week) without their family.

I don't know if I could do it, I think I'd spend the whole time feeling guilty....one of my friends asked me to go on a cruise with her next year....but I don't know if I could leave my family behind to go on vaca....

KickButtMama

Asked by KickButtMama at 9:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Travel

• My mom went on a one-week vacation with her best friend a few years ago...and she still talks about it to this day. She always talks about how relaxing it was and how glad she is that she did it.

I think all mothers NEED time away from their kids and families at least once a year, even if it's for only one afternoon. We all need time to reconnect with ourselves and feel like real women once in awhile. I think you should go on the cruise and have fun. Just make sure your kids are taken care of and that your husband is okay with it. You'll come back much more relaxed and more focused on your family, I promise.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i have but only for a weekend! sometimes you need a weekend to relax with out screaming kids!lol but i couldnt do it for a weekend! its too long without seeing my babies!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I really think is a very good idea for the mom's to go out and spend times for themselves.They work all day whether they are a stay at home mom or working mom's,cause you need that relax time without the family.You don't know if you will regret it someday ,as to I should have taken that opportunity ,I will never have the chance again.As long as you know that your childen and husband is ok,just go and enjoy it,you deserve it.Sometimes we only get one chance to do something good for ourselves.You'll see how happy you will feel coming back to your wonderful family.
    Selena510

Answer by Selena510 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Oh, heck Yeah!! Why not? You deserve a little time to your self, just have fun with the girls...
    You should go!
    My mom would do things like that all the time.
    I think you would come back refreshed and ready to tackle anything they throw at you.
    AjaJ

Answer by AjaJ at 2:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• oh gosh girl, dont feel guilty. if you have the oppurtunity to get away do it. your family needs to know you are important and you do need time away from them. and, they need time away from you. do it if you can and enjoy! sometimes i just escape to the backseat of my car, i lock the doors and lay down and the kids cant find me for hours!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am in the same boat as you. I don't think I could ever leave my husband and kids for a whole week. I could leave my kids and just spend time with my hubby, but not everyone. Hell I feel guilty going to work every night knowing I won't be there to help put dinner on the table (I do cook it though) or help with baths and bedtime.
    Monifoxx

Answer by Monifoxx at 2:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• hell yeah i would go. i have gone a several vaco's with my mother without the kids and leave them with their dad. i love it. we used to do it on a yearly basis but skipped it one yr and never gone back on one. man do i miss that. but i now can go with my hubby instead now that i'm remarried.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i would go insane if i didnt get to go on r vaca each yr alone. we have 4 kids and that is r time to have 1on1 time. no interuptions. last yr we went to miami(south beach) this yr we went to punta cana (dominecan republic) we have to have that time to reconnect with eachother we r better parents when we come home refreshed. i donot feel guilty at all. i do things for my kids all the time so there is nothing wrong with doing something for ur self.
    lala91172

Answer by lala91172 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• As a Traveling Mama, all I can say is, stuff the personal guilt trip and hit the road for a few days. If Mama is happy, then everyone is happy. GO!

CajunMama2

Answer by CajunMama2 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008