Is it safe/okay to give my baby Ibuprofen?

For teething?
He has 4 coming in all at once on the bottom, 8mos old, 20lbs, very healthy. Just for the times when nothing else helps?

Or
Is there something else you would suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're going to use teething tablets you might just as well just give the kid a sugar cube. The only difference is he'll like the sugar cube better.

We've used tylenol, ibuprofen, ice, pretty much any chewy toy she could get in the right spot in her mouth. I'd particularly recommend those soft blue nose suckers (a clean one of course), they're really soft but firm so really helpful to chew on for those back teeth.

I don't remember if I would have given DD blueberries at 8 months, but if you think he can eat them without choking, frozen blueberries are GREAT! They're firm, cold (so slightly numbing), perfect size for the mouth (not so big they struggle to fit them in the mouth), tasty and healthy.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• our dr. gave my ds baby tylenol for his teething, he just turned 4 months. but it works just as good as ibuprofen would.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• yes you can use ipubrofen after 6 months of age. It works better in my opinion than tylenol. Have you tried teething tablets? they worked great for my DS.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't give Tylenol. It is very hard on even adult's livers and has been in the news recently because of liver issues. An infant's liver isn't good at processing drugs. It's better to have sore gums than damaged liver. I think the hazards of any of the drugs outweigh the benefits.

My 22 mo grandbaby was living with me when he was teething and we did massage, teethers, and cool compresses.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010