Do you think "nucular" is a word?

Because it isn't. The word is "nuclear" and is pronounced noo-klee-er. Yeah, this might be petty, but it drives me batty. Anybody who is within six degrees of separation from the codes to drop the bomb should at least be able to pronounce the name of said bomb properly. So how do you say it?

crazydogchick

Asked by crazydogchick at 10:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok... I live in Alaska and even though I'm a transplant, I can hear a very *distinctive* accent and Gov. Palin has the same accent. I am sure that if it were Bill Clinton with his annoying southern accent, or anyone else that was from, say, Georgia or Alabama who were running, would you be just as annoyed? Or how about a Mid-West twang? Or a Boston accent?

As much as I agree that mispronunciation of words is grating to me... I consider where the person comes from. I imagine that if you were here, you'd have a hard time pronouncing some of the cultural names the schools and streets have. *grin*
    HBP1236

Answer by HBP1236 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• What are you trying to prove?

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't understand what the big deal is. It's just a word. They may just have an accent and that's how it is pronounced with their accent. My whole family says things completley different from how they are supposed to sound. Like wash - warsh, root - rut. No big deal.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i was trying to get what was the point of the question. could not come up with one. and could not figure out what the Op was trying to prove either.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• How do I say Nuclear Bomb? "Oh, SH*T"

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I've been thinking the same thing. Its bothering me too lol. There is a point tp the question because she should know how to pronounce things, especially because everything she is saying is written on her little index cards. Apparently they left out how to pronounce the words.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Not really trying to prove anything. It's a pet peeve of mine, which is probably why I did a lousy job of asking the question. ;-) I noticed Gov. Palin kept saying "nucular" and it was like nails on a chalkboard. Don't you think that the leaders of our nation should do their best to set a positive example in every way possible, including the proper use of the English language to the best of their ability? Can you take a potential leader of our country seriously when they use slang or incorrect/non-existent words on a regular basis? (I'm really not knocking Palin - she just made me think.)

crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 10:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think that the lack of humility is WAY worse than mispronouncing words or having improper grammar.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

and yet you have a habit of critizising people spelling.
    Anonymous

I guess you got me there. Oh well. But don't you think our leader's should be held to a higher standard if they are the face and voice of our nation?
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 10:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008