Umm.. here it goes. What do you do about constipation?!

It's awful and I need some advice about how to "get it going"

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can take metamucil :D And I think you can take stool softeners. Ask your doctor, they can tell you exactly what you can take. If you don't like taking medicine, try eating stuff high in fiber! Good luck, hope stuff gets flowing =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• mineral oil
    MOM_OF_FOUR_00

Answer by MOM_OF_FOUR_00 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My doctor told me to take Colace stool softner. I took it like the box said and about 24 hours later, it did the trick. The eating fiber and walking around did nothing for me, it was only when I took the colace that I felt "relief"
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Colace is a stool softener not a laxative. It will you pass your stool more easily since you are constipated. Be cautious with laxatives when you think your constipated. If you have not had a bowel movement in several days and you are having bad pains, call your MD first. If you have a blockage in your intestines then the laxative can cause it (intestines) to rupture. Best wishes!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• other than advices above, you should start a diet journal, write down EVERYTHING you eat, then write down how you feel and how your stools are. try putting new foods in your diet, see if you can figure out what to avoid to avoid constipation. every body is different, for some people its fiber, for some its calcium. for some its as simple as drinking more water. all people have their own natural anti-constipator. for me its bananas, those will send me to the bathroom three times a day. fruits will help you most likely
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would suggest eating more fiber...i.e, raisin brain, shredded wheat, and such. I agree with the above post^. Water is necessary in pregnancy. You should drink 6 to 8 glasses a day. It may be possible you're not getting a balanced diet. I wouldn't start taking a stool softener/laxative immediately. Try a natural way first.
    crazypianochick

Answer by crazypianochick at 11:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• you could always do a natural laxative like eating pineapple or drinking coconut milk or apple juice (not huge amounts of course)... eat more fiber and as always drink plenty of water
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i eat yogurt it works for me i swear as soon as i eat soem like an hour later if that i am in the bathroom just eat it rgularly and you should be fine for the rest of your pregnancy
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Great- thanks everyone!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Constipation is usually due to the extra Iron we take while pregnant....There is a Iron pill that does not have the sulfate most prescriptions have and it is easier to take I can't for the likes of me remember the name but I will check and get back to you as soon as I can....right now I take the normal Iron pills the doctor prescribe 3 times a day and I have to take 4 stool stofteners a day and that seriously isn't helping either......I was actually thinking about this subject this morning too because I am seriously considering on changing my iron pill again....
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008