WARNING: pretty nasty poop question.

Does anyone know what makes the "seeds" or "curds" in a breastfed baby's poo poo? My son rarely has seedy poop. Usually is more on the runny, mucusy side. I was wondering if my diet affects that.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know what makes it, but its not just breastfed babies. My formula fed baby girl had the same thing... It doesn't last long.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It is normal to have "seedy" looking baby poo in breast fed infants/babies. It is milkfat that has been broken down and eliminated. Not sure if diet can affect the "curds" but color can change like a rainbow with diet. LOL

Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Poop like that can be due to an oversupply of milk. Take a look at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I always thought the seedy look, was milk curds. It travels through an acidic digestive tract its going to curdle before it comes out.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• as long as your baby is gaining weight, growing, and developing properly, you have nothing to worry about. if it concerns you a lot, you should ask your doctor. my daughters seedy poops lasted a week and then were gone, im sure you'll be fine
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My baby has had tons of different poopies. Just ba glad that your babies popie isn't hard. My poor daughters poopie got hard when she switched from breastmilk to formula. I felt so bad because it made it really hard for her to poo. Sometimes she would cry because of it. We had to give her prune juice to clear the problem.
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• first, you dont want mucous in the poop, second, you actually want the seedy poop, the seedy poop is fat from the milk, that has curdled along its ride thru the intestines.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would check the website maggie posted (third response) if the poop is more brownish yellow instead of mustard yellow- provided you ruled positive signs of danger like fever, hard stomach, no wakeful periods, no weight gain, etc. 

If that doesn't work, I'd try not eating dairy for two weeks.

Squirrelmommy

Answer by Squirrelmommy at 12:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009