Is it okay to let my dog eat ice?

I dropped an ice cube and my dog grabbed it and chewed it up. Every time I pop the ice cubes out of the tray, my dog just whines and begs until I give him a few in his bowl. Will it hurt his teeth or upset his stomach? With the temperatures in the triple digits, he loves to have a bowl of ice cubes while sitting in the shade of a tree?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pets

• We give our bulldog ice all the time. It's like a treat for her. It wont upset her stomach, I mean they make doggy ice cream so.... :D
    Supernerdywife

Answer by Supernerdywife at 5:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Setereh - PLEASE don't allow your dog to eat onions. It's toxic to dogs and can cause anemia.

Ice is fine.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i think its fine to give your dog ice since ice is just frozen water. i give my dog ice water sometimes.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Call the vet and ask. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i hope not. my dog likes to play with them. and he will drink an entire bowl of water if it has ice in it!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We are going to the vet, which is also the groomers. I will ask then. I know I cannot chew ice because it would break my crowns on my teeth.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 3:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• also, I was told chewing ice is bad for the enamel on your teeth, I mean your dog probably isnt concerend with cavities but its a thought
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 3:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I used to give my dog ice cubes all the time when it was hot! My vet always told me he was big and healthy. I was telling the vet all the fun and different things that he liked to do. Like eating raw vegges ( onions, g.peppers,carrots). He ate anything.
    I would ask your vet every dog is different like people and you dont want to make your dog sick. I knew a lady that would freeze a treat inside the ice cube for fun.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 5:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I give my dog as well as cats ice in their bowl of water. My dog as well as small cat lick the ice lol. The older cat just looks at it and doesnt phase her. But i dont think it will hurt him no
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 7:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've always given ice to our dogs. They lick it more than chew it anyway. I think they like it on a hot day because it's colder than their water.
    mecontumacious

Answer by mecontumacious at 11:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2010