Calling all handy women?

I need to find a new contractor, mine broke his leg. I have a list of honey do's to get done. I cannot do some of the things on the list. Is there a Union of women contractors? Or can I learn basic skills from a class to be better able to fix the list of jobs? Painting, putting up crown moldings, putting up the baseboard trim and installing new wooden blinds to replace the mini blinds.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Home Depot and Lowes are both good sources of workshops and classes for stuff like that
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 4:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree with the poster above. Also, on the homedepot site, they have how-to video's that you can watch. HGTV has video's on how-to as well.
    After yrs of watching and helping my husband with remodeling, I can say, that most of your projects are simple and you can do them easily! Good luck!
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've taken a few of the Home Depot classes and found them GREAT help! You should check into that suggestion :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Definitely look for the Lowe's and Home Depot classes. Also check out the home maintenance guides that they both sell in their book sections. Nothing on your list is particularly hard. For example, with painting, most of doing a good job is doing all the right prep work before the paint goes on. Moldings and trim are mostly about measuring properly, doing mitre (not 90 degree) cuts, and knowing where to join pieces together. Putting up new blinds is just a matter of measuring properly, drilling a few holes, and putting in screws. Anyone can learn to do these things.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You can also use YouTube.  DIY Home Repairs.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Home Depot and Lowe's do demos, but try googling it and see what you find. I taught myself how to do drywall work with the help of the internet and while it took me longer then it would have a contractor I have been told you can't tell I did it. The list you have is really easy just get a miter saw and learn how to measure and figure out what angle to cut at.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My husband just researches online how to do stuff. He put in wood floors throughout our entire house and covered 70's wood paneling so that it looks like a normal wall. He had never done any of that stuff and just looked up how to do it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• YouTube has great How-To videos in case you can't get to Lowe's or Home Depot or they aren't offering the right demos for you. It's pretty simple. I grew up watching my dad fix everything, and while I'm not nearly as good as him, I can do a lot of things.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010